Surgery August 5th, getting cold feet!

Amber B.
on 8/2/15 12:02 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

I thought I was beyond prepared for this, I have researched WLS up, down, and sideways. I could probably teach a nutrition class, I know all the risks AND the benefits but for some reason I am second guessing myself today. I keep thinking "Well maybe I can lose it and keep it off this time" "Am I really doing the right thing?" "Am I going to make it through the surgery safe and sound?" "Is it going to be worth it?".......Ahhh I am driving myself crazy!!!! I know all of these thoughts are normal to go through but I just wish there was a way to quiet them! Sorry for the rant but I know many of you have probably gone through the same thing and could maybe relate. Thanks for listening :)

Eggface
on 8/2/15 2:02 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It is definitely normal worry about having a major surgery but realistically the complications rate is quite low and in line with most any major surgery (gallbladder, c-section, appendectomy, etc.) They will run a bunch of tests to rule out a lot of potential issues, on that front the odds are hugely in your favor. Do your part, follow directions, drink water, etc. 

If you made thoughtful decision to have surgery... I am assuming after multiple failed diet attempts, a lot of research and preparation for surgery and the lifestyle changes it entails. I'm guessing you feel good about your surgical team choice, you have a support network in place, your commitment to your health is the same as when you decided to have WLS... then... if none of those things have changed have faith in your decision making and your judgement that this is the best choice for you. 

If something above has changed or you didn't factor everything you needed to into your decision... maybe put the brakes on and reassess. 

For me having weight loss surgery was the best decision I ever made. It was the helping hand I needed to alleviate my health issues and allow me to make the permanent lifestyle changes I needed to make. Hope you will feel the same if you go that route.

Best wishes in whatever you choose. 

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Kathy S.
on 8/2/15 3:02 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kim T.
on 8/3/15 6:10 am - Canada
RNY on 09/29/15

Just wanted to say, Good Luck and Best Wishes out to you.  I feel the same as you although I don't have a surgery date yet.  From what I've heard and feel myself, it is very natural to have these second thoughts.  Concentrate on the  "after" benefits and how much healthier you'll be.  Looking forward to you post op post.  Best wishes, I'll be thinking of you...

MickeyDee
on 8/2/15 3:03 pm

This is The Jitters and is along the same lines as waiting for Christmas or going on your First Date.

Hang in there, Kid.  By this time next week you'll be walking around the Nurse's Station and deciding whether the yellow jello is really toxic waste or not.

alouisa63
on 8/3/15 1:53 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

ohhh... the yellow jello *is* toxic waste!

MickeyDee
on 8/3/15 8:09 pm

I totally agree!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/2/15 6:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Most of us go through exactly what you wrote. Then we decided we can lose on our own. So we diet, lose a big chunk, gain it all back -- plus some -- then finally decide to have surgery. Then we ask ourselves why in the world we didn't do it five years earlier.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

need2gethealthy
on 8/4/15 7:43 pm

Exactly!!  VERY well said!!!

kokosuggs
on 8/2/15 7:44 pm

These feelings are normal....I have NO regrets!  well 1....should have done this sooner  :)  Take 1 day at a time...you can do this!!

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

Most Active