Bizarre NSV

Mathew M.
on 8/22/15 6:29 pm

So the other day I was discussing our dinner options with my wife.  She has never had a weight problem but has been very supportive of my journey.  I also do all the cooking in the house because...well...she sucks at it (she freely admits this). 

So in our discussion about what I should make or if we should go out, I looked in the fridge and told her that I could grill chicken breasts and steam up some Brussels sprouts.  Mind you, that was what I had made for the 3 previous nights.  She didn't have much of an opinion one way or another, and I decided the chicken would be fine and said, "F$#k it, its JUST food."  Then I seriously did a double take and was like "Did THAT just come out of MY mouth?"  Really???  I said, "its JUST food?"  Dayam...

Honestly, since the surgery I feel as though someone went in and literally cut out my obsession. 

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Modest_Phoenix
on 8/22/15 6:39 pm

Interesting, and obviously a rewarding feeling for you, so Yay You.  I hope surgery cuts out my obsession with food too.  Although I have learned so much about nutrition since January and I have been obsessed with that, so that part I want to keep after surgery.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

jamrodriguez
on 8/22/15 7:34 pm

LOL! I guess I hadn't thought about it yet, but my relationship with food is completely changing. Before my lifestyle change, I use to spend a large portion of my time thinking about food. When can I eat next? What crappy barely-food substance should I eat? How much of it can I eat (like a personal challenge)! What's so weird now is I spend a lot of time thinking about food, but with such a different connotation. Its more like, how much protein have I had today? What should I eat today to get all my needs in? Can I get in enough of this food to get my protein and vitamins, etc.? Its turned into a utilitarian need, not an emotional obsession.

Great NSV! 

Mathew M.
on 8/22/15 12:56 pm, edited 8/22/15 12:56 pm

Totally Jam!!!

I really feel as though I am eating to live now, as opposed to living to eat like before.  It is not that I don't enjoy food.  I do.  I had a bit of red meat last week for the first time in 3 months.  We went to a nice steakhouse and I ordered a really top quality cut (the smallest portion they offer), ate half of it, really enjoyed it and savored every bite, then packed the rest up to take home. 

And yes, like you, I used to spend so much time thinking about food.  I still do, but from such a different perspective.  Now instead of thinking "when can I eat next?" I often find myself thinking "oh wow, I think its been too long and I should stop and eat something."  And then I think about what would be the best food to meet my immediate nutritional needs. 

I wouldn't put substandard gas in my car, yet for years I didn't give a thought about what substandard fuel I was putting in my body.

Lovin' it!!!!!!!!!

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Most Active