Metallic taste in mouth

Newchapterbegins
on 9/16/15 11:51 am

I'm taking my opti and have a constant metallic taste in my mouth can anyone say if they experienced this and why? Does it last long or eventually go away?

Thanks

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/16/15 11:55 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Did you just have surgery?  Are you pre-op?  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Newchapterbegins
on 9/16/15 12:08 pm

I'm pre op. Few days into my opti. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/16/15 12:17 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Okay, I asked because that metallic taste is SUPER common right after surgery due to the anesthesia.  I had it and it was awful.  Nothing tasted right for a while -- and that is a common complaint. 

I never used Opti -- but I believe that it's fortified with iron.  For a lot of people, iron leaves a very metallic taste in the mouth.  Also, when you got into ketosis, you often get a terrible metallic taste -- and that does subside with time.  

You could try blending with ice to see if that helps some? I have also found that drinking protein shakes with a lid/straw/cover helps as the smell often contributes to its unpalatability.   I hope it gets better

Newchapterbegins
on 9/16/15 12:21 pm

Yes I find the scent of the opti off putting when trying to drink it. Thankful for flavor essences  to help.

Thanks for the input.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/16/15 12:23 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Sure.  Seriously, try a covered cup.  It makes a huge difference for me.  I am assuming you have to use Opti per your program's requirements?  If not, you may want to try some other shakes.  My personal favorites are Nectar and Isopure Zero Carb.  

SkinnyScientist
on 9/17/15 11:39 am

Me too!  And I had it for months afterwards.

Also, my sublingual B-12 vitamin would really bring out that metallic taste there for awhile.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Lissa_ND
on 9/16/15 12:23 pm
VSG on 09/02/15

You are probably in Ketosis. This is a good thing! Means your carbs are low enough that your body is burning fat for fuel. I recommend googling it. Metallic taste is just a part of the process. GL to you!

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

MAchick
on 9/18/15 3:29 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

My thought too!

Valerie G.
on 9/17/15 10:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My money is also on ketosis.  This is a good thing.  You're not giving your body enough instant energy (carbs), so it's burning your fat for fuel.  Drink lots of water to flush out the ketones (byproduct of ketosis) and the taste will lessen

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active