What's a good range of calories per day for someone 8 months post op?

NikkyBeauty
on 10/18/15 9:16 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I'm generally at 800-900 calories I'm using my fitness pal app I'm tracking consistently, I had a major stall For a month then dropped 9lbs in 10 days but my cals were like 650-700 and my carbs n suger were super low so I'm wondering is 800-900 calories a day too much? I had been losing consistently at those stat's before the month long stall.

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

WereYorkie
on 10/18/15 10:38 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

That may depend... It might be the carbs and the sugar levels that are too high. I can lose weight at a higher calorie count but the moment I go past 35 net carbs weight loss comes to a screeching halt.

You might want to experiment and find where your carb limit is...

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

White Dove
on 10/19/15 3:47 am - Warren, OH

My metabolism slowed considerably after the initial quick loss following surgery. Before surgery I would have lost about five pounds a week on 1200 calories a day. But I had a lot more to lose then.

Calories are only one part of the total equation that keeps me at goal, gives me energy, and keeps my body strong and healthy.

For years I have been using a site called If It Fits Your Macros and using the results for the goals in My Fitness Pal.

I am maintaining 134 pounds at eight years out from surgery. My macros are:

Calories - 1347

Protein - 107.2

Carbs - 109

Fat - 53.6

Fiber - 27-34

I do not want to lose weight. If I did then my macros would be different.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Maria27
on 10/19/15 5:41 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Carbs cause water retention, so most likely that quick drop in weight was your body letting go of water it had been retaining. Sometimes your body holds onto water even though you are loosing fat, so it the number on the scale doesn't move until your body lets go of the water. That change in your diet is what probably prompted your body to let go of the water, but that does not mean you need to stay at that number of calories. The scale is not a complete way to measure your progress because it does not tell you everything that is going on with your body. At your current weight, there is just no way that 800-900 calories a day is too much. So keep doing what you are doing and make sure you carefully track so that you don't accidentally eat more calories than you think.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/19/15 6:08 am, edited 10/18/15 11:08 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

My experience is this -- my sweet spot for losing weight is less than 850 calories, less than 35 g carbs, more than 85 g of protein, and at least 80 oz of water per day. I have tested it numerous times, I have logged, weighed and measured my food faithfully for almost 700 days on MyFitnessPal. Sometimes, when I've had a "stall" - I have had success doing what you described: lowering my calories drastically for a few days and going back. I also have had some success slightly (900 calories) raising them for a day or two and then dropping back.

I have lost some weight at 900 to 950 calories, albeit more slowly, but at 951 calories, I am definitely in maintenance. I have tested this repeatedly. I do work out 4 times a week on average, work on my feet as a college teacher (always meet my 10,000 steps) and often feel very discouraged that it takes so few calories to sustain me. IN fact, my very skinny husband remarked, "No wonder you were obese! Who could eat so little with even a normal sized stomach... I would literally die if I ate as little as you." If he weren't such a great husband, I might want to smoother him with a pillow while he sleeps...

For fun, he tried to go 24 hours eating exactly the same things but gave up at around 7 at night. He also lost 4.5 pounds on the scale the next day and I secretly hated him for it for about a week.

Edited to RE-ADD what the new update decided to simply remove from my original posting.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Tracy D.
on 10/19/15 6:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was able to lose weight at 800-900 calories per day...as long as my carbs were kept strictly to 40 or less. When I stalled out I didn't cut calories - I upped my fat intake by eating nuts/seeds/avocado, which actually increased my daily calories. But I cut the carbs in half to 20 or less.

Worked like a charm every time.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/19/15 6:44 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I read somewhere that 800 cal/day was the target for weight loss and 1200 for maintenance. When I told that to my NUT she blurted, "At most." She almost laughed. I took that to mean that the real long term targets for people who keep it off it actually lower. My NUT is real and does not blow smoke - she knows that it takes more than a 3 hour operation for people to keep the weight off.

I am still in the post-WLS honeymoon phase, so I don't have first hand experience to address you question yet.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/15 9:04 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm still in the honeymoon phase 5 mos out and eating 1000-1400 a day now, and I just finally started losing again after my first real stall. I do a lot of exercise though and have a 144% resting metabolic rate vs. expected, so that's about the equivalent of someone with an average metabolism eating 830 a day. I don't think you're too high at all at 800-900 cals/day. I also agree with above posters that cutting the carbs probably caused you to lose a whole bunch of water weight all at once.

We have to play around and see what works, but being patient is key -- it's tempting to want to ascribe changes to whatever we did right beforehand, but metabolism doesn't show effects that quickly. It drives me nuts when my work BFF says "I was the same weight today as yesterday! That cupcake yesterday didn't hurt me after all!"

Kathy S.
on 10/19/15 9:15 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Great information everyone!

Nikky don't forget to post this on the VSG Forum too

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

NikkyBeauty
on 10/19/15 3:22 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank you everyone ok so I'm getting that 800-900 is ok just keep the carbs low! I did notice that when I dropped my calories down my carb intake was 8g-18g at most and I did it buy sticking mainly to protein and when I was stalling the carbs were higher! So I'm going to shoot for no more than 30g of carbs a day and go back to 800-900 calories and see how that works for me! Thanks again everyone this was very helpful

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Most Active