post op questions

Brandilynn230
on 1/1/16 12:16 am

Okay so I am 4 days after surgery. I had the DS performed and am super sore still!  But i am trying to wean myself off of the big pain meds. I have some questions. 

As of now I am required to take a scoop of powder vitamins provided by my doctors office three times a day. This is already becoming imposslible and makes me gag just thinking about. I know I have a few weeks until I can take the actual vitamins but i was curious as to what vitamins everyone else who has had the DS done? I know my Doc office is only going to suggest their brand, but there are other brands out there that work better or just as well? 

different phases of diets? Right now I'm on "phase one" post op diet which is all liquids. I did 4 weeks all liquids before the surgery as well, so I am dying for actual food! I know I can do it but as far as phase 2 can someone tell me what a sample menu for that might be so I know what I can look forward to? lol 

I am still recovering and adjusting to this new life style but tonight was New years eve and I really am saying new year new me and MEANING IT THIS TIME! HAPPY NEW YEARS and thank you in advance. 

cross posted.

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

lking
on 1/1/16 7:17 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

You should crosspost this on the DS Forum.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

White Dove
on 1/1/16 8:07 am - Warren, OH

You have had a drastic surgery performed and can never skimp on your vitamins again.  Compare what your surgeon's office recommends to the recommendations on the Vitalady website.  Your vitamins are going to cost about $80 a month and that will be for life.  People on the DS site can give you a lot more information.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Roma
on 1/1/16 2:35 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Happy new year and congrats on your surgery!

It makes me sad that your surgical team didn't properly prepare you with the info you need to be healthy and informed post op (sample meals, vitamins, etc). Hopefully the nice folks on the DS page can help you out. Good luck!

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Donna L.
on 1/1/16 3:23 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The vitamin requirements for the DS are the highest of all the surgeries and it's much more important to get the correct ones.  You need special versions of the fat soluable vitamins (A, D, K) for example.  It's much more complex than for other WLS patients.  I'd definitely post on the DS boards or ask DS patients directly.  A lot of people use Vitalady, I know.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active