X-Post: Diet trumps exercise during weight loss

Tracy D.
on 1/5/16 5:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

http://news.yahoo.com/exercise-scientist-reveals-fastest-mos t-184945742.html?nf=1

This article reaffirms what many on these boards have said for years: diet/food plan FIRST, exercise SECOND!  You will never, ever out-exercise bad food choices.  I know people who never exercised and lost all their excess weight in record time after WLS.  Because they were focused and compliant with every single bite they put in their mouth and they TRACKED it every. single. day. 

The article goes on to state that successfully keeping weight off (maintenance) requires diet and exercise.  I truly believe that and can attest it is true.  

Bottom line for newbies starting out: focus on the food and don't sweat the exercise piece.  You can slowly build up to that and kick it in high gear once you hit maintenance.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Racewalker48
on 1/5/16 7:24 am, edited 1/5/16 12:11 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Thanks for posting!  I chuckle when I think about how much I exercised (and ate afterwards) when I was obese.  It was certainly much, much more than I exercise now.  

rocky513
on 1/5/16 7:48 am - WI

I lost every pound after WLS with no formal exercise.  I HATE to exercise.  I was vigilant about what I put in my mouth.  I hear a lot of people on these boards say, "Everyone cheats...".  I did not "cheat" once during my weight loss phase.  When I got to below goal, I allowed myself a little more "wiggle room", but I still follow the WLS rules very closely.

I still don't "exercise".  I am very active in doing things that I love, like gardening, building garden art, and helping my husband with remodeling projects.  As I lost the weight, I became more active but I never participated in a formal exercise program.  I keep busy.  I don't sit on the couch. I find things to do everyday. My house has never been cleaner.  It is so much easier to do the everyday stuff at a normal weight.

You can not exercise your way out of a bad diet. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Tracy D.
on 1/5/16 8:04 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Perfect example - thanks, Rocky for chiming in! 

On the other hand, in maintenance I tend to "cheat"...a lot! So working out 5-6 days per week is a must for me.  I haven't done so well the last 6 months (the first 3 months after plastics I couldn't and it was hard to get back in the groove Oct-Dec).  As a result, I've packed on 10 lbs. that WILL be coming off.  Through exericse and NO cheating - lol! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Racewalker48
on 1/5/16 8:21 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Tracy, I might also add that according the National Weight Control Registry, those that have lost at least 30lbs and kept it off do the following, making exercise an important part of maintenance as you exemplify :

• 78% eat breakfast every day.
    • 75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    • 62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    • 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

Tracy D.
on 1/5/16 12:40 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Great info, thanks! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/5/16 9:45 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On January 5, 2016 at 3:48 PM Pacific Time, rocky513 wrote:

I lost every pound after WLS with no formal exercise.  I HATE to exercise.  I was vigilant about what I put in my mouth.  I hear a lot of people on these boards say, "Everyone cheats...".  I did not "cheat" once during my weight loss phase.  When I got to below goal, I allowed myself a little more "wiggle room", but I still follow the WLS rules very closely.

I still don't "exercise".  I am very active in doing things that I love, like gardening, building garden art, and helping my husband with remodeling projects.  As I lost the weight, I became more active but I never participated in a formal exercise program.  I keep busy.  I don't sit on the couch. I find things to do everyday. My house has never been cleaner.  It is so much easier to do the everyday stuff at a normal weight.

You can not exercise your way out of a bad diet. 

I could have written this post Rocky!! 

I am so grateful for vets like you -- because you led me in the right direction when I was a newbie.  I never once "cheated" during my weight loss phase.  Not one time.  I lost 200 lbs in what I consider a record amount of time.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Tracy D.
on 1/5/16 12:41 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You are awesome, Kat 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/5/16 4:16 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

So are you Tracy!!  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Patm
on 1/5/16 9:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I agree 100%. I now exercise for health. I have a lot of arthritis and do things that keep my joints loose. I need to lose 10 lbs but I also know exercise will not do it.

Most Active