Cooking for me and hubby

Catek2652
on 1/27/16 6:38 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Hubby jokes that I'm a cheap date since my surgery because he doesn't have to buy me a glass of wine and I can either be happy with an appetizer or a couple of bites from his plate if we go out - which is rare and only when traveling. We have discovered that a Mexican restaurant works well for us in these cases... But at home, we are struggling to cook for him and the new me. It's basically cooking for one. But most things we make are for more people. I'm still having difficulty with dry meats, so nearly everything needs to be sauced. And he has gained 10 pounds since my surgery! He is now eating all the extra that I'm leaving. It's sort of shocking to us how little food is an actual, authentic serving. While we always ate very healthy, organic, non-processed food at home, we (read "I") ate probably three or four times more than I should have. And now he is doing it. Silly man. 

All that said, I'm looking for dinner meal ideas for one or two that will leave room for no seconds or leftovers. 

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

ladygodiva1228
on 1/27/16 7:59 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Cook ahead on the weekends and freeze the portions.  Measure them out for what he would eat and what you would eat and then on the night your going to have it just take those two packets out.  No left overs, no eating what you left, and he'll lose those extra 10 pounds. 

My husband was like that and now I plan most of my meals on the weekends and take out what we will be eating for dinner that night. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

White Dove
on 1/27/16 9:32 am - Warren, OH

If he is used to eating for four, he will be quite dissatisfied with smaller meals. 

This is something that you really cannot control for him.  He will have to learn how to put his fork down and be satisfied with less.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

RNY0615
on 1/27/16 10:00 am

I am single and live alone. To answer your question about cooking for one or two, it's almost impossible! The only thing that I can easily do this way is when I have baked chicken- I'm able to cook just one breast at a time. Even then, one breast is two meals for me! LOL... 

I do what was suggested above. I cook on Sunday for the whole week. I don't freeze them, though. I don't like the way things taste once they've been frozen, so I just eat the same thing all week. I know your husband wouldn't like that, and most people don't like to eat the same thing all week, but it doesn't bother me. So for instance, I'll make a 1 pound meatloaf, cut it into slices that are approximately 2.5-3 ounces each (on scale) put each portion in a snack-sized ziplock, and put them in the fridge. each day, I pull a bag and take it to work for lunch. Dinner I usually just eat more of the same, but sometimes will have a shake or greek yogurt instead. 

I'd prefer to eat something different each day, but in my first 5 months pre-op I wasted too much food by trying to cook a few meals a week. I would end up throwing away half of everything. One meal a week lasting me the whole week works best for me. I think with this journey, you have to sort of find what works best for you and your family. For you, it may be helping your husband just bite the bullet and watch his portions, and deal with leftovers once in a while. I'm not sure. 

Best of luck! You'll figure it out! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/16 10:37 am

Using a crock pot was a great thing. I would just fix his plate then freeze the rest. That way it saves you some time so on other days you don't have to cook. 

acbbrown
on 1/27/16 11:03 am - Granada Hills, CA

There was a point where I hated leftovers. I bought tiny pans and little mini muffin pans to make my food in. I'd separate my meat into small portions and just freeze the meat so I could cook something fresh with it. Now I'm learning to play around with spices to get some different tastes going. But I've grown to not mind leftovers so I do the crockpot thing and eat the same 3-4 foods all week. Makes life so easy and I never have to think about or obsess over what I'm going to eat. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Gwen M.
on 1/27/16 3:53 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Due to the way I eat, we've started having 2 leftover nights a week.  I still cook the same amounts, but I don't cook new food every night anymore.  that night work?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active