Grads with regain...Let's talk!

StephanieF.
on 3/23/16 4:07 pm

Hey friends,

I am fighting the battle again, after letting some weight sneak up on me! I am going to be 10 years out in a few months, which I'm in shock over, really. TEN YEARS. Ten years, man. TEN YEARS!!! (remember that scene between Jeremy Piven and John Cusack in the movie Grosse Pointe Blank?) lol

Anyway, as a way of reminding myself and anyone reading this, I had RNY gastric bypass in the summer of 2006. I was at 304 pounds on the day of surgery, at 5'6" tall. I got down to 147 after surgery, which made me, according to my plastic surgeon, nothing but skin and bones. Apparently heavy bones, because other people my size get down to lower weights and smaller clothing sizes. I was in a medium top and a size 10 pants. I was ok with that, of course! 

Two years later I had a tummy tuck and hernia repair. Best money I've ever spent, honestly. Even now, with weight gain, it helps me be able to wear normal clothes. I had rebounded to about 164 at the time of that surgery, whichi is normal after surgery. I felt great at that weight.

I maintained a steady weight for several years after that, walking three miles a day, doing yoga a few times a week, etc. 

Then, in 2010, I got a job as a writer. I am still there, and enjoy it; I love to write and I have great benefits. The downside is that I sit a lot, and there is a vending machine with crackers and trail mix and stuff. And when I get stressed out, it calls my name!

I am up to...GULP....220 now. Still 84 pounds down from my day of surgery, but I feel uncomfortable. My clothes are tight, my joints ache more, things like that. So, after wallowing in indecision, I made a call today to my bariatric surgeon's office. I talked to the nurse who helped me so many years ago, Freda, and told her what was happening. She listened, and told me several things.

1. When people give you food, you don't have to eat it. (I deal with that at work a lot, which I'd told her.)
2. I have four mornings a week available to exercise, and I'm not doing it. That is inexcusable. I need to get outside and hit the pavement again. 
3. Get back to support group. I can be helped by keeping the "bariatric patient mindset," because you definitely do lose that this far out. Plus, I can be helpful to new folks with questions.
4. The practice I use offers a "back on track" program that meets a couple of times a month, and I need to get in there and be a part of that, too.

It was great to talk to her. Not that I didn't know these things, but to hear from her was more helpful. I put it out there, I made the problem public, (that's why I'm telling you this now, too) and acknowledging it, instead of hiding it. As the saying goes, you can't change what you don't acknowledge. 

So I'm putting myself out there. I know it's not what any of us want to hear, that regain happens. When we have surgery, we go through the honeymoon of thinking we'll never have to worry about food issues again, but it's not really the case.

I will add, however, that I do still get dumping syndrome, complete with nausea, cold sweats, and other issues at times. Not all the time, but still fairly frequently. I'm really glad of that!

:)

So, let me hear from you. Any advice for me? I'd love to hear it. Any questions? I'll answer honestly. Let's talk!

Steph

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/16 5:11 pm

Great post...

yea...regain can happen... How we react to it and when we decide to stop it- it is up to us , most of the time.

I also lost bit too much for my frame, then tried to gain some and went too far... my doc, PCP was not happy with my weight , specially that my back pain returned.  i got serious and lost 15 lbs... then I got too comfortable... and I was gaining and losing the same 5-8 lbs... Once I get close to my goal - the work is so much harder and the motivation is not as strong....

like any "skinny *****" that complains about the 5lbs, only she sees.. I know i lost weight and i look good...my clothes fit good...but I still have the 4-5 lbs that I would like to lose...

my motivation - I finally decided to try to have a face lift... so I gave myself a goal.. lose and maintain the weight for 2-3 months... and get the facelift..

what works for me is mainly diet.   low carbs - and very selective carbs.. and proteins and fat... moderate proteins , and good "real fat" from foods like nuts, avocado, butter, coconut, and meat... Low fat does not work for me... 

no alcohol - or very limited.... limited fruits... and 1 or 2 cheat days  every 2-3 weeks...

I try to weigh myself every day... at the same time... I see the fluctuations...

I do have  a lot of food allergies - intolerances - so I really have no problem not eating what everyone is eating... 

Even when it is food that I could eat some - telling someone I am allergic to some of the ingredients gives me an easy pass...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

StephanieF.
on 3/23/16 10:16 pm

Awesome tips! Thanks for your thoughts...have you had the lift yet? How exciting!

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/16 3:29 am

No lift yet.  Have not met my final goal yet. I think in 6 months or so... 1-2 months to reach goal.. 2-3 months maintaining and building protein reserves... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 3/23/16 7:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I LOVE Grosse Pointe Blank.

This union, there's gonna be meetings?

Of  course!

No meetings.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

StephanieF.
on 3/23/16 10:12 pm

Yessss! Oh my gosh, I love that movie! I've seen it numerous times, but...it's time again. ?

BTW...congrats on on your great success with weight loss!

Neesie57
on 3/23/16 11:05 pm, edited 3/23/16 4:05 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Ok, ok, you've talked me into it!  I'm going to download Grosse Pointe Blank!  Hubby is going to be out of town, starting tomorrow, so I think I'll watch it then.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

StephanieF.
on 3/24/16 4:53 am

It's such a good, weird movie! Cusack is a private assassin *****turns home for his HS reunion. There's some violence/language because of his job, there's comedy as he interacts with old school friends, and there's romance with old gf Minnie Driver. It's one of a kind. ;) great soundtrack, too!

seabexlose
on 3/29/16 1:15 am
VSG on 04/12/16 with

John Cusack is my celebrity crush since forever.

StephanieF.
on 3/29/16 4:02 pm

I feel the same way! So smart and so uniquely handsome, and great at his craft.

Most Active