So many questions i guess im just Nervous

icej2003
on 6/26/16 4:28 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

I am so excited and nervous all at the same time...I have a few questions should I go ahead and buy my protein shakes, what should I bring to the hospital how long is the hospital stay...... everyday I'm just thinking about my upcoming surgery!!!

pammieanne
on 6/26/16 4:51 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I will be 6 weeks post op RNY tomorrow...

That being said, here's my experience.

I hate the protein shake I bought pre-op. I've tried a few others, and nothing really does it for me anymore, but I find that the unflavored mixed with my favorite crystal light type water is my favorite. Everyone's experience is different, but I just don't like the milky ones anymore. I am not supposed to use anything except 100% whey protein isolate. Premier Protein ready to drink shakes are the best ones imho, but they're not 100% whey protein isolate, so I'm not drinking them just yet.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights. I think that varies as well, depending on how your surgery goes, and what your doctor wants.

Don't bring too many things with you to the hospital. You won't use as much stuff as you think. I wore a very comfortable pair of yoga pants and a t shirt to the hospital, and wore the same thing home. I was happy walking the halls with a gown on (and one on backwards). I had my phone charger, and brought my IPad, and charger... toothbrush, hairbrush, and a ponytail holder... I was good. 

Congratulations! It's so hard waiting! Now that it's over I have a calm about the whole thing. I was lucky, with a textbook surgery and post-op thus far. Only thing is, I keep waking up and looking in the mirror... I'm not skinny yet! hahaha!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

icej2003
on 6/26/16 7:00 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

I see alot of people recommend premier protein....that's on my list to try also thanks for for the information 

CMR1075
on 6/28/16 9:06 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I favor that protein drink and it comes highly recommended by my nutritionist. It has a lot or protein and no bad after taste :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/16 8:55 am - CA

You can get a free sample of Premier Protein, just click here and fill out this form.

They will ship you a bar or shake of your choice!  Great way to try it and see if you like it.  

~Nik 

icej2003
on 6/30/16 12:26 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

yea I had seen that I filled the form out a few days ago......Thanks

peachpie
on 6/26/16 4:56 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Have you tried any protein shakes yet? I'd buy some to sample- so you have a few on hand you know you like-- but do not stockpile. I still have a tub of vanilla protein powder cause I couldn't tolerate it post op (loved it preop).

your surgeon should tell you what to expect for the hospital stay-- anywhere from 1 night to 3 is normal. I was 1 night. 

Bring to the hospital- not much. Most everything you need will be provided. I brought my phone/charger, extra clothes (that I never used- I came and left in the same outfit) a magazine and some toiletries that I never really used either. And I brought my own pillow-- hate those hospital pillows!!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

icej2003
on 6/26/16 6:40 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

Haven't tried any yet im going to get some samples and see what I like best.....thanks for the info on what to bring for the hospital stay....im sure they will go over this information when I go to my appointment  on July 20....it just seems so long.....loll my mind is just racing with needing to know information 

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/16 6:20 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Celebrate brand bariatrics has this neat $3.00 sample pack of protein powders, vitamins, sf chewies. It's technically a free sample pac, you just pay the $3.00 for shipping. It was a fun, cheap and easy way to test out a few different powders and bariayric supplements!

Also Bariatric Advantage brand has the option on their website where you can buy a single protein shake in a plastic bottle. It's the two scoop serving size in a plastic drinking bottle you just add water or skim milk and shake it was only $2.50 and it's a cheap way to te s t out their mant flavors without potentially wasting $60.00 on a larger tub size. I just ordered the Banana Flavor, it was so good! I bought their large vailla tub, and it's good.

You can buy the "blender bottle" shaker bottles online or right at the pharmacy in walmart. I paid $7.00 for a small (12 oz) pink one....also picked up trial size deodorant, hand sanitizer, hair conditioner, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste to bring to hospital. Two big baggy plain shirts, two pairs of stretch capri's, two sports bras, 4 pairs of underwear,phone and charger. 

My Revision surgery is July 5th. It will be my third bariatric surgery.

Best of Luck,

Megan M. :-)

icej2003
on 6/26/16 6:30 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

Thanks for the information and good luck too you also

Most Active