gatrografin swallow???

icej2003
on 7/2/16 2:42 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

Just curious did anyone or everyone have this done and how was it??

hollykim
on 7/2/16 7:48 pm, edited 7/2/16 12:48 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 2, 2016 at 9:42 PM Pacific Time, icej2003 wrote:

Just curious did anyone or everyone have this done and how was it??

it is like a barium swallow. You are a revision right? Surgeon wants to see exactly what the contours and outline of your original surgery is, how fast you are emptying, etc.

you will swallow the liquid they give you and they will watch it travel/ take X-rays of its passage

icej2003
on 7/2/16 9:13 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

no revision this will be my first time having weightloss surgery.......will I be having this done before I leave the hospital

RNY on 12/22/14

Mine tasted like milk of magnesia - but I was so thirsty that I didn;t mind.

They are making sure that fluid passes through (no obstruction) and that it stays in your GI track (no leaks). Most doc will not discharge you until they know that they did a good job. 

I was not allowed to eat or drink ANYTHING - no ice. NOTHING until I had it done.

I wanted to see what my picture looked like and the nurses said I would go first - at 8:00 - because my room was 901. So, I delayed my pain meds so I was alert.  At 10:00 I was pissed and feeling pain that I was still waiting and they were taking everybody else first.  Well, the nurse was wrong - They took the Sleeve patients first, then the RNY because the Sleeve people will be discharged that day and the RNY will not be discharged until the next day.  Makes total sense, but I should have taken the pain meds a 8am.

Anyway, I asked the techs to show me a snap shot that showed everthing - they did - I saw the staples for the stomach work and also the staples from my hernia repair.  You can also get a copy of the disc with the entire study.  I went back a few weeks later and got the disc from the hosp.  I suggest you do, just in case there are problems in the future.

Sharon

hollykim
on 7/3/16 9:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 3, 2016 at 4:13 AM Pacific Time, icej2003 wrote:

no revision this will be my first time having weightloss surgery.......will I be having this done before I leave the hospital

since it is a virgin surgery, what your other posters said is correct.o

karenp8
on 7/3/16 5:05 am - Brighton, IL

It's a liquid you drink and then they will take xrays at different intervals. It's to see how quickly your pouch empties and to check for any leaks or problems with your surgery. It's no big deal. The stuff tasted sort of nasty but the test itself was no big deal.

icej2003
on 7/3/16 5:49 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 08/03/16

thanks for the info

Most Active