How to pick my surgeon???

Kiki1182
on 3/22/17 10:24 pm
RNY on 11/09/17

So... I've been trying to get my surgery on and off for a few years now and it's finally time for me to just buckle down and get it done! I've let one obstacle after another throw me off track as well as losing faith in myself! I've come close twice with two different surgeons from two different hospitals. One huge obstacle is my blood sugar! One of the surgeons will not schedule a surgery date until my a1c is under 8! I do understand why but I also feel like it's not that simple! The other surgeon had me scheduled and ready to go but I ended up losing my insurance. This doctor doesn't have a problem with performing the surgery while my a1c and blood sugar levels are where they are! My problem is that I'm not sure which surgeon to choose!!! Would it be stupid to pick the surgeon that I know will operate within a month or two? If I go with the other surgeon I'll have to wait at least 6 months! Advice is needed!!!!!

Cathy H.
on 3/22/17 10:55 pm, edited 3/22/17 3:56 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Whatever you choose to do, you're still going to have to get that A1C down. How much does yours have to drop to get it under 8?

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in August 2014, with an A1C of 8. It scared me to death. I immediately cut out all bad carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes, bread) and followed the Diabetes Association diet guidelines, read all I could about controlling blood sugar with diet, and started eating more protein, only low GI carbs, and whole grains. Within 3 months mine had dropped an entire point to 7.

Cutting out carbs is the best way to lose weight and the best way to move forward after whichever WLS you choose--carbs are the devil's handmaiden and are pretty much what gets most of us into morbid obesity to begin with. Starting now will make it easier for you after surgery.

So, as for choosing your surgeon, I'd say which has the best reputation and which one do you trust with your life? That's how I made my decision. Best of luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Kiki1182
on 3/23/17 5:40 am
RNY on 11/09/17

My last a1c was a 9.4, I'd been off my meds for about 6 months at the time. I'm seeing my endocrinologist today and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be around the same.

One Bad Beach
on 3/23/17 12:38 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

I can't give you any advice on your A1C, but I will tell you this about picking a surgeon.

Ask your PCP, friends, endocrinologist. Do research on each doctor. See if there is a different one that your endocrinologist can recommend. There are a lot of people with DM who choose WLS to resolve it.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/23/17 7:15 pm
I'd pick a surgeon that can do the DS.

After that, I'd find the best one and then wait for them.

However, if there were 2 equal options, I'd pick the surgeon that could do it the quickest.

Scott
Most Active