Medication for Hives after Bypass

Catherine-Mo
on 6/2/17 2:33 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago. I recently have been diagnosed with hives and benadryl is not working to stop the itching. The steroid ointment has limited benefits because the hives keep moving from one area to another on my body. I have an appointment with an allergist this afternoon but I have learned not all doctors are aware of dangerous medications for gastric bypass patients. I want to go in to the appointment informed on what I can and can not take. Some have mentioned possibly a steroid shot to help or oral steroids but I don't want to put myself at risk for ulcers. Anyone have experience with hives and safe meds to use?

* Nicole *
on 6/2/17 8:37 am

First and foremost find out what is causing your reaction. Because if it can be elimnated....do it and avoid the situation all together. But if your not going to spend the time to figure it out you need a bit stronger of an antihistamine, benedryl wont cut it.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Grim_Traveller
on 6/2/17 8:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The only thing to avoid are NSAIDS. But I'm not sure if those are used to treat hives.

The only other thing in general is to avoid extended release meds. Get regular instead. And if you get gel caps, most doctors advise we open them up rather than taking them whole.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 6/2/17 9:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have no problems at all with Benedryl working. Try upping to a double-dose if you must. I would be looking at what is causing those hives. You may suffer a while waiting for an allergist, so think of anything new you've eaten. New vitamins? Have you been poking in the yard with this wonderful spring weather?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Deanna798
on 6/2/17 12:21 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

See if Hydroxyzine is an option for you. I had major issues with urticaria before surgery, and my doc prescribed me that antihistamine. It worked pretty well, and it is a lot stronger than benadryl. I haven't had any issues since I had surgery, so I haven't tried it afterwards.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/3/17 6:15 am

I developed severe good allergies a few years post op RNY. And I was getting worse. I was on 3 allergy otc meds, and when things would flare up - I would get RX pills for allergy. I also deal with IBS and gut pain. I knew there must be a connection.

Doing my research - I realized that RNY created a perfect conditions for bacterial overgrowth and Candida. So I decided to take control over that and see if I can "fix it".

Sometimes candida can cause - increase food and environmental allergies.

Thinks like leaky gut syndrome, SIBO, etc., are real and as a post op RNY? we can be prone to that. I know I was. It took me close to a year to treat and start healing my gut, but slowly I got better. Things that I was once severely allergic to - I can now tolerate in small amounts once in a while. I am no longer on 3 allergy pills, but I do take 1 benadryl at night to help with my body overproducing histamine. I hope to get off of that one day.

Read on that. I know that my cravings for sugars- carbs, plus itching, or reaction to allergens can flare up when my candida is not under control.

Read on this. Really eye opener.

Clean eating (very low carbs) plus some herbal supplements, probiotics ... And in worse case RX diflucan, really works for me.

Making sure my bowels work well (preventing constipation,) makes a huge impact on my body reaction to food and chemicals.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/3/17 12:50 pm, edited 6/3/17 5:50 am

Deleted double post.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Catherine-Mo
on 6/3/17 4:03 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I went to see the allergist yesterday. They did lots of blood work to search for the cause of the hives. He put me on Xzyal (allergy med) and Zantac (acid reflux med which has a histamine to help with hives). I took them both last night and NO hives. The problem is the allergy medication has knocked me out all day. I am going to take 1/2 pill tonight and see if that manages the hives but doesn't make me feel sedated all day long. Thanks for all of your input.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/3/17 5:58 pm

I hope they find out what you allergic to.

Based on my personal experience - my body started compensating and I had to take more and allergy meds, and I was becoming allergic to more stuff. I hope that is not going to be your case.

Btw- sometimes allergy meds like zantac, benadry and others can cause double vision and feeling dizzy - vertigo. Watch for that.

Most Active