Surgery Date - May 23

YYC_Healthy
on 3/3/18 8:29 am
VSG on 05/23/18

I have been looking at this site for some time now and thank you all for all of the information. Yesterday, I got the call and my surgery date is May 23. I'm very scared and questioning my decision. (I do get anxious with any kind of medical procedure)

Shannon S.
on 3/3/18 10:23 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Very normal to feel fear and apprehension. I know I did. You will do great. Try and keep your mind off the negative and concentrate on the positive. I let fear delay my surgery over a year. Now I'm wishing I would have done it sooner. It is life changing! I assume your surgeon is top notch or you wouldn't have chosen him/her. Trust that you are in good hands!

peachpie
on 3/3/18 10:36 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Tell us more about what made you decide. Maybe we can put your mind at ease. What specifically do you fear? Pain? Anesthesia? Failure?

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

YYC_Healthy
on 3/3/18 3:00 pm
VSG on 05/23/18

I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. My provincial health care is paying for my procedure. My journey has taken a year from my first visits to surgery date. I actually have never weighed myself, I only get weighed at the clinic and have lost 15 - 20 pounds. I do not own a scale. I always thought if I just pulled myself together and started to eat right, cut back on the wine, that the weight would fall off. Ha! Ha! Ha! I have done this and gone down by one clothing size in the last year. But I do eat much better and wine is a treat instead of a staple. I cannot do this alone and need more tools to get to a healthy weight. I am not really one for exercise anymore.

What am I afraid of? The surgery, pain, the recovery. I live alone. Failure.

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/18 5:08 pm

Good luck to you! It is a wonderful thing!! I would do it again 10 times. Being nervous is normal.

One suggestion try to cut the wine out if you can. As someone almost 10 years out who could take or leave wine or drinking prior to WLS it becomes quite addictive or some how attractive after WLS. RNY to be exact. I have cut it out completely.... I did not let it become a big problem but could definitely feel I liked it too much... wanted a glass or two more often. Not just the occasional glass when out at a restaurant. The sugar in the alcohol did not feel good in my body either. Just a suggestion to be careful ... some very sad stories after WLS. To me not worth it and glad I decided to eliminate completely before it took a hold of me. Nervous for someone who likes it prior to surgery. I hope that does not make you more nervous but felt something that I needed to say or would not feel right as it is a true concern for someone who enjoys drinking prior to WLS.

Kathy S.
on 3/5/18 1:03 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active