Starting from day 1!! Who's with me?

Lamarie
on 12/22/19 6:53 pm

Has anyone literally started all over again? Not a reset or pouch test, but pretended that they're scheduled for surgery and started with the Pre-Op Liquid Diet all the way through the 6-8wk Post-Op phases? I need a drastic change in lifestyle and the 5 day reset doesn't help me long term. I'm looking re-train my mind, my body, and my stomach all over again.

• NO straws.
  • NO carbonated drinks.
  • NO drinking with meals.
  • COUNTING while I chew.
  • MEASURING my food.
  • SMALL plates.
  • PROTEIN first.
  • WATER!
  • WATER!
  • WATER!
  • Etc.

I know this will be incredibly hard, just as it was when I was actually completing the Pre-Op diet before having my surgery -- 11 years ago . I did it once, so I know that I can do it again!!

***If anyone is interested in doing this with me, I'd like to start the day after Christmas or on January 1st. I welcome all interested bariatric buddies!!

Please only nice comments. TIA!!

White Dove
on 12/23/19 7:56 am - Warren, OH

While this is one way to deal with it, I would never be able to do that. For me, the weight loss surgery is long in the past.

I saw my brand new pouch as being like a brand new baby. You feed them a few ounces of formula and they are happy. But they grow up and an adult would not be happy with a few ounces of formula. Following the pre-op diet would feel like torture to me now.

I face the fact that my pouch is now an adult and can handle pretty much anything I want to put into it. I do plan to start Weigh****chers again in January. For me, WW is my grown up plan and how I lose weight without feeling like I am doing anything hard.

Weigh****chers does require me to measure and track my food. Daily weighing keeps me on track and accountable.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Willie H.
on 12/23/19 8:53 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I heard you, go for it!

Funny. I thought this year would be the year when after Halloween I would not fall into that November-January eating disaster, but I did!! But as someone mentioned in an earlier post maybe I'll just do the best I can during that time and then in January start over again-as I have done every year. It's not even the volume and quantity, it's the type of food-sweet, cookies, candies, processed carbs!!! Amazing, I do so well up until this time, then all the sweets come in to my job and I just fall off the wagon-not right away but a sneak here, then there, then wham!! The old Cookie Monster is back, and my relationship with my former paramours Lil Debbie, the Twinkie Twins, Sara Lee and even Mrs Butterworth are reunited? I just can't quit them!

But I'm not going to beat myself up, I just have to know this is a difficult time for me and I'm going to have to learn to either overcome it, or just deal with it. So many good suggestions: eat low-carb, fill up on protein, drink more water, pouch reset, exercise more, Intermittent Fasting, etc., all great suggestions and for the most part I heed them-especially during other parts of the year. But for this time of year as Jim Carey said in the Mask: "Somebody Stop Me!" I like as one person said, "just go with it during this time of year, do the best you can and get back on program after the holidays" which I have done every year, but usually along with guilt, feelings of failure and a self-beatdown. I mean insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results right!

This year, not that I am giving up in any way or not taking accountability, but I am going to just enjoy this time of year, limit what I can, when I can, and then get back on track without the guilt. This is when this tool really comes in handy, as long as we use it correctly. Last year, (this time of year) when I was completely out control I gained an additional 2-3 lbs, which I was able to get rid of quickly. Before WLS, it would of been 15-20 lbs-yes in just two months! No, I don't want to misuse this tool and feel I can just go off program, I am accountable and responsible for what I put into my mouth and also how I respond to it, and I do know the danger of overconfidence and/or taking eating incorrectly lightly, or giving myself a "green light or "go pass". But as well as I know my weaknesses, fortunately I also know my strengths.

It's one reason why I continue to come to this forum-it humbles me, keeps me grounded. And I see the many people in the gym Jan 2 and after for a few weeks-I was them! This is a life-long journey, a WOL (Way of Life), and I realize that I'm not very good at it, but I'm realistic and I do ok. I have ups and downs, wins and losses, but I keep on keeping on-and I try to be honest with myself!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/24/19 6:16 am

Great intentions !

As others mentioned, I would have a hard time to try to reproduce the 4 weeks before my entry and then the weeks right after the surgery

During my pre op 4 weeks when I was "detoxing my liver" liquids would fill me up. Soups, proteins, etc. But with pouch the liquids just pass through it, so even if I want to - my results won't be as good as during the prep diet.

But dense proteins- absolutely. My pouch works great for that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 12/24/19 8:19 pm

I had my surgery a few weeks before you.

As others have said, I could never go back to that original plan, but I hope it works for you. I joined WW this past weekend to help me lose my regain. I know this program will help me.

Good luck!! #nevergiveup

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

notdamomma
on 12/26/19 10:49 am

The farther out we get the harder it is to go back to basics. Our bodies have adapted as we progressed and the suppression of the Gherlin hormone is no longer a factor which is why we were literally never hungry in the early days. Now, my appetite is back and going back to the early stages of post op diet would not work for me. I have to meal plan and prep and track all foods.

I think it is great that you want to be mindful of the things you outlined, but don't be discouraged if you can't stick to it. Not many of us could. If you find you are not succeeding with the plan, tweak it a bit with eating dense proteins to keep you satiated longer and add some healthy fats (olive oil in small amounts), etc. steer clear of carbs which can trigger our hunger and result in reactive hypoglycemia which will lead to eating more to get your bs back up.

I'm working on my regain as well, so I know how hard this is but we can do it!

Most Active