Antidepressants and Gastric Band

Stacy T.
on 9/11/08 7:29 am
How much can antidepressants impact the success of the band?

I take 30 mg Lexapro and 50 mg Trazadone. I am scared that these meds which I need to help with my anxiety, depression and panic attacks, will be what keep me from losing weight and becoming healthier.

I eat well but I eat ALOT and I already exercise ALOT (6-8 miles on bike or 3-4 miles elliptical 5 days a week) so I am hoping that portion control and exercise will overcome the antidepressants.

Can anyone tell me how they have done with banding and antidepressants?
Jean M.
on 9/23/08 10:34 am
Revision on 08/16/12
This post looks really familiar to me, so I apologize if I already answered it on another OH forum.

I'm not sure why you would post this on the Regrets forum.

I take Lexapro and Remeron.  I used to take Trazodone but it stopped working for me so I switched to Remeron, which has similar actions and side effects to Trazodone.  None of these meds has ever had any effect on my weight, pre-op or post-op.  In my experience, untreated depression. anxiety and panic attacks are much more likely to contribute to weight gain than these meds are.

If you are able to eat more than you think you should, maybe you need a fill?

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Sarah V.
on 10/27/08 4:26 am
Geez, woman...you're everywhere! 

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

petsitter
on 12/10/08 4:08 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I don't know if the band affects your meds, it just takes them longer to absorb I believe. But.. in my experience, it was the anaesthesia that affected my moods extremely for about 2 months post op. I hadn't had surgery since I was a kid and was not prepared for that. I just figured it stayed in your body for a day or two, but it really can mess with your hormones is my understanding. (I also had neck and back pain, for just about a week though, as the gas they fill you with during surgery floats upward apparently.) I am bipolar and had been stable a long time prior to surgery. Two months after, even though I'd lost about 40 # by then, I was suicidally depressed. I don't know that this happens to everybody, but my therapist said she has seen it several times. Just as an fyi.. so you can be prepared for this and know what may be happening. Good luck to you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8486 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11027 views