Biggest Mistake of My Life

Knot H.
on 9/11/05 12:02 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
I totally regret this surgery. I'm depressed and have had a lot of complications. I feel like a different person. I had a little voice warning me not to go through with it, but I ignored it and had the surgery anyway. I feel like I wasn't fully informed of the 1 in 3 chance of strictures by my surgeon, and I did a lot of my own independent research. I would take this back if I could. The weight loss isn't worth it. Does anyone know anything about reversals? Thank you, Lisa
MandyDele
on 9/12/05 1:52 pm - Vicksburg, MS
I know where you are coming from. I had surgery September 6th and just came home from the hospital today. My intestines were "asleep" or "lazy" so air wasn't moving like it was supposed to. I had a health problem previously which required me to take a lot of medicine, and NO ONE there bothered to help teach me how to take it. I finally figured out that I would only be allowed to take 1 pill every 30 minutes until they are all gone. I was allergic to morphine and scratched like i had lice, I puked for 2 days from the barium test, and went to the bathroom for days because the nurses forgot to take my laxatives out of my meds. And then there was the pain...UGH, I am sure you know. Ok, this is where I feel a connection with you... I am 27, single, and no kids, so we have that in common. Onto the regretting part...I laid in that hospital bed balling to my mother and saying "Mama, what the hell have I doneeeee, I prolly coulda lost this weight had I tried harder, why did I do thissssss???" And she told me to think positive. She told me that I had only been getting bigger and that I had made the right decision whether or not I felt like I had at the time. I was drained and dehydrated the night before my discharge day, which by the way I didn't know I was getting out today. Anywho...That afternoon I prayed to God to please help me get through this, to help me be strong, to find encouragement, and also a few other things. Finally they put the IV in and last night I put my glasses on for the first time last night and turned on the TV for the first time. I was even singing those songs they play while advertising CD's for TimeLife. I guess God answered my prayer. I don't go to church, and I rarely pray, but something told me to. I am back at home and feel great. I just have to remind myself to sip sip sip. I know how you must feel and I wish I was there to comfort you the way my mother, nurses,and the doctor did me. I knew this wasn't gonna be easy, but didn't know it was gonna be this darn hard, I hope that makes sense. I have lost 18 pounds so far and have been walking, cleaning, singing, and just trying to adjust. If you are anything like me, you still want this. You want to live a longer healthier life. I am no profressional, just sharing my story. I have read posts of others who had a reversal, and I am glad they got what they wanted. I believe I deserve a reversal if I decide I want one. We all need to do what is right for us, and I won't encourage you not to get a reversal, but I encourage you to seek support from others in a group, on here, from your family, or doctor. Sit and think about how you felt prior to making the final call on having the surgery. Weigh your options. I really wish I could help. I will say a prayer for you, and maybe you should to. Just ask God to help you figure out what to do. I wish you all the best in the world. You can email me ANYTIME if you just need someone to listen or anything. (((Huggs))) Amanda
KristaO
on 9/13/05 10:25 am - WATERBURY, CT
I am so sorry you are having so many complications. What else has gone wrong for you besides a stricture(s)? I went thru a period at 3 weeks out that I was convinced I had a stricture. I was wrong thank God but have seen many people who have had more than one. They have all made it through and I am sure you will too. It is very frustrating when you feel sick so often and don't feel you get the answers you need. But I have looked back on my experience and decided I did get the right answers, I was just so convinced that I had something else wrong that I didn't listen. As for not being informed of strictures, if you have done all your own research I am sure you came across it at some point. Plus I was also told about it at the seminar I attended prior to surgery. If not then it is too bad that you were so ill informed, but use this to help others who may be in the same predicament that you find youself in now. I hope things go better for you. I will pray that you find the peace to live with your choice, or the courage to face a revision. hugsssssssssssss Krista 327/241/150-ish?
Sue N.
on 9/15/05 5:36 am - Montgomery, AL
Hello, I had my surgery about 13 months ago and I am living proof that one can get through having strictures. I had 2 strictures - one about 4 months after surgery and one about 9 months after surgery. Each time I had an out-patient procedure to correct them. I don't believe I will have any more as my digestion finally feels 'normal' after a year of having a very touchy stomach. I was warned about strictures and one of my friends who had the surgery about a year ahead of me actually had a stricture and had it 'stretched' and was fine. I wasn't too alarmed when it was discovered that I had a stricture - it was also discovered that I had an ulcer at the same time and I took Nexium for a few months which was a big help. I feel really well now, and have lost 100 lbs. which was my goal. I questioned myself maybe once or twice after the surgery because I couldn't see where I would ever be able to eat normal things again, but I have now reached that stage and eating food is no longer such a big deal or such an all-consuming thought. I used to struggle constantly about what I should eat - how much I should eat - when I should eat - blah, blah, blah. It was exhausting. I also followed my doctor's directions to the letter and that was very restrictive. I am very glad now that I did. I exercised during the weight loss process and have learned to really like exercising - I see myself building muscle and looking really good - that is such a wonderful feeling. I hope you will hang in there and realize that better days are ahead for you. It has taken me this entire year to 'get it' - and some days I still struggle with the mind game of weight loss - I don't think it will ever be easy, but the new me - the size 6 me, is so happy and I feel so healthy, I wish this for you - and will keep you in my prayers. In the end it is your decision - and you have to decide what is right for you. I know having the surgery was right for me. I had diabetes (no longer on any meds), heart disease (down to 2 pills a day from 11), and hypertension (1 pill a day, down from 4). I feel like a new woman and I continue to be amazed to realize that for over 20 years I was over weight and could have really felt better, if only I had taken that huge step and lost the weight way back when. I am disgusted with myself that I had to get to the point of surgery, but am so thankful that I had the courage to have it. I feel that it has saved my life. Be strong - be in prayer - the answer will come to you. Sue N.
Nancy Degenmeister
on 9/20/05 7:27 pm - Bergen County, NJ
Probably the best group out there for info on complications and reversals is the OSSG-gone_wrong group on yahoogroups. Wonderful group of people who've been through an awful lot and should have answers to all your questions. Nancy
maureen77
on 9/22/05 5:08 am - CA
I totally know what you are talking about. I found out a couple of weeks ago that I was pregnant when they performed by surgery...If only they had given me a blood test instead of a urine test at the hospital I wouldn't have to be struggling with morning sickness and the effects of this damn surgery. I can hardly eat and I have been told by my OB and my surgeon not to lose anymore weight. Uhh..wasn't that the point of the surgery. I wake up every morning regretting this decision to have this surgery. But I am really happy about being pregnant. Hang in there--it has to get better...doesn't it??
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/05 11:26 pm - Bessemer, MI
Hi Maureen, Im sorry to hear about your situation. If you havent been to the post-op pregnancy board I would recommend it. There are a lot of wonderful ladies there, a lot very early post op pregnancies. I dont know how they expect you to not loose anymore weight, for crying out loud you just had your stomach shrunken!! I have been told that most obese mothers have a lot of reserve and the baby takes what it needs. I got preggo at 6 months post-op, I only gained a total of 7 pounds but after having him I was 20 pounds lighter than I wes pre-preggo...sadly my baby had a heart defect and passed away at 18 days old, NOT WLS RELATED!!, and I went through a bout of depression and have gained about 10 pounds back. There are a lot of days that I regret the surgery as well. I know it wasnt WLS related but it is hard to look past that sometimes, I had had 2 healthy babies prior....plus to see that damn scale go back up!! Its so frustrating. If you ever need anyone to talk to, email me. We are TTC now. Take Care and God Bless, Roxanne Wife to Kyle Momma to: Zackery 11/19/95 Nathan 12/12/01 Tristan 3/7/05-3/25/05 My forever in my heart!! TTC
thisonesforme
on 9/25/05 12:18 am - Graham, WA
Hi there, I had my surgery on August 11th this year and last friday had my third procedure for a stricture. I am hoping this will be the last one as I can hardly keep down water. I did look into reversals, but as I was self pay I would be self-pay for the reversal and it cost the same as the surgery it self. I hope you feel better. Teri
Mike R.
on 10/12/05 3:21 am - 02494, MA
Lisa Thank you for having the courage to post this.
T S.
on 10/17/05 2:14 am - Athens, OH
Bless your heart! Some surgeons don't tell all do they? I did research for approx 6 months prior to deciding on the DS and it was amazing how many surgeons don't tell you all of your options. Have you spoken with your surgeon about your disappointment? I hope everything evens out for you. Try to keep your chin up! If you have to, go to another Dr for your follow up care. Best wishes, Tonya
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8486 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11027 views