Old Post-OP....back to basic's almost 8 yrs!!!

~EbonyBarbie~
on 1/18/12 7:41 am - XX
I have had an amazing journey......Happy with this lifetime tool. Would like to say hello to you all. I like to drop in every blue moon (keeps me humble).

LEE
on 1/18/12 7:58 am

Hi EbonyBarbie

We are trying to hold it down and breath some life back into BAF.  

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
~EbonyBarbie~
on 1/18/12 8:10 am - XX
What happen???? Where is everyone???

MSW will not settle
on 1/18/12 8:29 am
Welcome back. 

What BAF peeps shared was not meant for a share button.  Folks scrubbed their past postings and profiles and went "
in-cog-negro".    A few of us are hanging on but you bet we are not nearly as open about things as we once were. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 11:19 pm - Fair Play, CA
@ in-cog-negro.....slapping my knee...girl you are a hoot!!! Thanks for the laugh out loud!!!
mel1964
on 1/18/12 11:12 pm
hurrah, more people!!!!! hello to you too!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 11:21 pm - Fair Play, CA
Hi EbonyBarbie...thanks for stopping by. Take your shoes off and stay awhile.
jspurple
on 1/19/12 5:12 am - fairburn, GA
VSG on 04/11/12
  I laughed so loud that my staff came to check on me!!!!  I was not around when everyone left. Does anyone care to say why the others scrubbed their profiles and postings and left?

MSW will not settle
on 1/19/12 7:31 am
I am not known for brevity so sit down for a minute, lol. 

Opinions differ but I say no doubt it is the share button.  Many did not want to be linked to social media.  We posted personal health info here as well as frank opinions and stuff that goes on in our personal lives. 

Family, friends, aquaintances, employers, etc may not know you had surgery and don't need to.  Or, perhaps you used this as a sounding board to vent or get help with a problem.  One person you know who knows you are on this site can very innocently put all of your business in the street.   

Anyone could always copy and paste between sites but the share function allowed insertion of entire threads including profile links to facebook, myspace etc.  From there anyone viewing that wall can go through your past postings and profile if open.  Moreover, this site had a option to block your data from search engines.  Once you are in a shared thread that function is moot. 

Someone on BAF set up test profiles in oh and fb so we can see how it would work for open and blocked accounts on each site.  There was never any illusion of privacy, but this was too invasive for most.  We talked like irl friends about anything and everything. Those that still come around, myself included, edit themselves far more than in the past.  

Imagine if you admitted to a behavior that others would judge you for.  Just here between friends.  Someone in your life inocently links you to social media and others that know you get curious.  They start browsing links to your data.  Depending on the situation it could cause you problems at worst; or, it may just be you did not care to share. 

Some think it was a foolish over reaction but they did not try to keep this board going either.  Most of us disagreed.  Any negative consequences to you for social media use would be unfair; however, even if it were discriminatory, the damage is already done before you can take action. 
Example: You don't get the job because of fear over your long trem health insurance costs due to wls.  This was cited by a job hunter at the time.  Most such issues are either not actionable at all or you cannot prove harm as a direct result of this knowledge.  It was simply just not worth the risk for most folks. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 197 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1142 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2040 views