Loser

stillfablessfat
on 6/25/12 5:02 pm - CA
VSG on 05/30/12
OK it took me a while to post this because i really didn't want to sound ungrateful but since surgery (may 30th) I have only lost around 16 pounds I say around because 1 day i can get on the scale and it say 195 two days later 198 its been 24 days and I was expecting more i got the surgery because i always stop losing around 200 pounds before surgery I lost 39 pounds in 3in a half months without a pre op liquid diet so I'm feeling some what cheated i know that I can only live with my choice but  I can't help but think about  the people close to me telling me not to get surgery because I can do it  on my own and now they can just say they told me so .............feeling a little sad thanks for reading 

Leslieenlightened hw250  sw211  gw140

MSW will not settle
on 6/25/12 11:46 pm
Automatic fast weight loss after wl surgery is a myth.  This may happen for folks with good metabolisms that simply ate too much.  If you also ate too much with a less than ideal metabolism to boot, you will not likely see the scale move effortlessly.  Add issues of medications, hormones, lymph edema, etc and weight loss can be as slow or slower than for a "normal" person on a regular diet. 

You may have no "honeymoon period".  You may take months to loose that first fifty pounds.  It may make you angry and frustrated.  People including medical professional jack@$$es may accuse you of not sticking to plan.  You may feel buyers remorse about wls.  You may be tempted to stray from plan to crash diets or cheating since you are not losing as expected anyway.  These are normal reactions to disappointment. 

Few post about this issue while the folks that loose it all in under a year claim their bragging rights.  Hold to your plan.  Talk to your wls medical team as this is what you are paying them for.  If they are no help, do your own research on healthy post op plans.  There are too many versions out there to count. 

Perhaps your physicians plan is just not best for you.  My Dr made a minor modification to my plan while the nutty nut assumed I did not lose because I was cheating.  His understanding of hormones and metabolism made some difference.  The rest was my own research.  Many of the nutritionists we depend upon are not registered dietitians just as medical assistants who weigh you and take your blood pressure are not nurses.  They have some training, but often they are not licensed regulated professionals. 

Most important in my opinion, screw the nay sayers.  It remains a fact that the multi billion dollar diet industry depends on the greater than 95% long term diet failure rate.  WLS across various types has an over all long term success rate exceeding 90% based on numerous clinical studies.  Most studies use lifetime maintenance of 50-65% of excess weight lost as the criteria for success.  As follow ups extend over longer terms, this increases in significance.  Media fueled by wl industry advertising would rather push negative anecdotes than the truth. 

Those who criticize us buy into this.  We are shamed for our obesity and shamed again for addressing our obesity in a manner that is proven effective.  The shame is not ours.  It belongs on those who critique us because they have bought into the advertising and media spin on wls.   

Bottom line: Fast or slow you can and will loose the weight as long as you remain committed.  I was painfully slow to loose and still struggle with spurts increased body fat.  It took me 135 days to loose the first 50 lbs post op; 508 days to loose 97.5 lbs to my goal weight.  This is with regular exercise, both cardio & strength.  I struggle with a 10-15 lb weight swing that three Drs insist is uncontrollable.  I won't accept this.  Three years our I refuse ever to buy a bigger size and I use a tape measure so as not to fool myself. 

You will loose it.  You may have no control over the time frame.  You will keep it off.  You do have control over how you adjust to this disappointing reality.  STAY STRONG! 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

stillfablessfat
on 6/26/12 3:06 am - CA
VSG on 05/30/12
Thank you thank you so much for your support I'm trying to keep my eye on that spec of  light  at the end of the tunnel.............I really appreciate your support and advise

JazzyOne9254
on 8/21/12 5:07 pm
Not saying that you aren't doing what you're supposed to do, because I'm sure you are, but I noticed that you have a VSG.

While this provides restriction, and doesn't allow you to eat as much, you still absorb all the calories you do eat, so you still need to be careful not to make high calorie choices.

I have the duodenal switch, and my massive weight loss and maintenance is due to malabsorption (see www.dsfacts.com).  I will have to do heavy vitamin and mineral supplementation for the rest of my life, at a level that would create vitamin toxicity in unaltered folk, and even folk with VSG, like you. The VSG is the top half of my surgery, which provides the same restriction for me that you have. 

I'm sure you will be successful, but if you find that you're having some difficulty maintaining all but a minor gain, you might want to look into having "the switch".  It's not for everyone.

Congrats on your weight loss!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

dstgirl2000
on 6/26/12 3:05 am

Dear StillFabless.............One month!.............Seriously?????.......  And you've proclaimed defeat...........One month!............It's way too soon in the game to jump on that band wagon.  I know you've been on this board long enough to know that we all lose differently.  And the #1 mistake you can make is to compare your journey to others......  Which you are doing.  It's been A MONTH!!..(or less)  Listen to MSW......She gives such great advice and perspective.  Your body is still adjusting to the surgery.  Stay with your program, do what you know you are supposed to do and exercise a little more patience.  It's only been ONE MONTH!............(Or less).  It will work, if you do your part and work it!

Stay strong and committed!  You will lose the pounds in due time and succeed!!.......You are a loser you know.....(In a good way..............16 lbs is a great start).........Keep it moving!

JJ

stillfablessfat
on 6/26/12 3:18 am - CA
VSG on 05/30/12

Thanks......less then a  month it is kinda early Thank you for bringing that to my attention it really seems like forever lol

sweetpea142
on 8/2/12 7:07 am
You took the words right out of my mouth! Your body is trying to adjust to the changes and the surgery. You are doing really well to have lost 16lbs. Please dont compare yourself to others, i know that you are excited and expected more but it will come off! I think i lost about that much the first month too but every week, you will see 3-5lb lost if you follow the rules. Make sure you are getting all your protein in and drinking your water. You will lose it, and when you start losing it, you will be really shocked at how sturdy it comes off.

Blu-Diva
on 6/26/12 12:27 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 Sorry about how you feel, However here's the truth fight, fight, fight, I'm hare and fighting too. We only just stared no giving up. The whole fam is fighting too. Keep your head up girl. 

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

stillfablessfat
on 6/26/12 1:29 pm - CA
VSG on 05/30/12
Thanks nothing in my life has ever been easy and I've always had to work a little harder then most lol what makes this any different so yes I'll be fighting and fighting to get to my goal and stay there  

P.S. I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Thicklin
on 6/26/12 9:26 pm - TN
VSG on 04/23/12
You may not be losing on the scale but I'm sure you're losing in inches...I had to get off the scale and take a old fashion type measure out thats when I started seeing my results. Good luck to you and give it some more time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 207 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1150 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2065 views