Lost 180 lbs in 8 months 7 years ago. Gained half of it back. Trying something new

Vickie
on 6/23/13 3:25 am - Wilmington, NC

Hi all, 

I just want to get some feedback and have some accountability. I had my RNY in April 2006. I lost 180 lbs in the next 8 months. My starting weight was 483. Slowly but surely, I've gained back half the weight  I lost. I also ended up with some pretty significant nutritional deficiencies. These made it difficult to move around and even be able to function normally let alone lose any weight. Going to the Dr. is a joke. Even my hematologist doesn't really "get" RNY and the effects that it has on the body. My husband and I desperately want to have another child. Nutritional deficiencies are messing that up as well. I have a friend who told me about a product she used. It is called Shakeology. It is like nutrient overkill. I wouldn't say its a protein shake but it does have protein in it. But that hasn't really been my problem. I NEED NUTRIENTS.  So I'm going to try it out for 30 days and let you all know how it goes. If I lose some weight that would be great but I know I need to supercharge my nutrition to get the scale moving in the right direction.  I need your support. Most others don't know the shame I feel and the pain I go through.  Thanks in advance. 

acbbrown
on 6/23/13 4:50 am - Granada Hills, CA

Do you not have access to your surgeon or a bariatric surgeon/doctor who can help you? I dont know anything about shakeology but it sounds like you need some medical interventions/direction to get your body functioning again. Maybe a different hematologist? You might have to fight for it, but your life is worth it. Who is monitoring your labs? 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Vickie
on 6/23/13 5:06 am - Wilmington, NC

I am honestly monitoring my own labs. Throughout this process I've had to do a lot of research on my own. I've had a few good drs who shared information with me. I live in an area where I have to travel 5 hours to even get to the hematologist.  I've had iron infusions and I get b-12 and b-6 shots every week.There are a lot of micro nutrients that I know are missing. I am so excited to be moving forward with my weight loss journey again. Thanks so much for your reply. Keep in touch. 

nanagayle
on 7/17/13 11:56 pm - Gray Summit, MO

I love Shakeology. Just be sure you only drink the correct amount. I add peanut butter to mine and use milk. Almond milk is best. I started gaining on Shakeology because I was drinking way to much and adding lots more calories to the mix. You should also be doing some kind of exercise.I too gained a bunch back because I went back to eating poorly and not walking everyday like I once did. My blood work has never been a problem and I have NEVER had a problem after having my RNY. ( well, the fact that I can eat sugar, with in reason, was a real disappointment for me. I do not drink anything that has sugar, alcohol, or carbonation. The only issues I have ever had was when I didnt chew my food well. I have to be sure to chew meat that is dry or pasta well of I will get what I call 'foamies'. Feels like I need to throw up but can't. I am trying to get back on track, but feel like I can eat as much as my husband now. I am sure I have stretched my pouch out. Just hoping I can turn things around and stop the weight gain.  We much remember; Anything worth while takes effort.

Most Active