Were you intubated during your surgery?

alyssa9933
on 10/31/15 11:56 pm - LA

I am scheduled for vertical sleeve surgery on November 10. I currently weight 415 down from 445 on my pre op diet. Due to some health concerns and my weight the doctor says that they are going to intubate me for the surgery. I will go to ICU for a day or two following the surgery or until I can breathe on my own without the assistance. He is worried about the risk of me having lung and breathing issues during surgery and also tells me that the biggest worry is that it is difficult for many people to breathe on their own after intubation. I am scared to death of a bad outcome but am trying hard to convince myself that everything will be fine and I will breathe on my own and be a success story.

I was wondering if anybody else who may have also been intubated during the surgery due to being so heavy could offer any information or advice on how to handle this and how it went for them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any responses.

Alyssa

Felicity Q.
on 11/1/15 10:45 am
DS on 09/28/15

I am fairly certain everyone under general anesthesia is intubated. In my experience, they wake you up from the anesthesia after they take out the breathing tube. In my surgery last month, I was definitely intubated for surgery, but was never awake with a breathing tube in. They woke me up after it was already out. They monitored the oxygen levels in my blood for 2 days after surgery and gave me a device to 'challenge' my breathing (I think it was called an incentive spirometer?) that helped prevent the build-up of fluids.

After my lap-band surgery 4 years ago, I wasn't given a spirometer, but they did monitor my breathing after surgery and I also had to wear my C-Pap machine (for sleep apnea) immediately after surgery to make sure I was still getting enough oxygen.

Your own experience may be different of course... these are just my own experiences.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Neesie57
on 11/1/15 7:05 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Felicity is right, everyone is intubated if they are under general anesthesia. You should be fine.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

selhard
on 11/2/15 8:50 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Sounds to me like your medical staff is taking extra precautions important to your successful recovery. I had quite the sore throat from the tube but ice chips helped soothe discomfort. Walking the hospital hallways was what helped me feel stronger, breathe better, and be hopeful. Things will go fine, Alyssa, you'll see.

hollykim
on 11/3/15 10:49 am, edited 11/7/15 7:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 1, 2015 at 6:56 AM Pacific Time, alyssa9933 wrote:

I am scheduled for vertical sleeve surgery on November 10. I currently weight 415 down from 445 on my pre op diet. Due to some health concerns and my weight the doctor says that they are going to intubate me for the surgery. I will go to ICU for a day or two following the surgery or until I can breathe on my own without the assistance. He is worried about the risk of me having lung and breathing issues during surgery and also tells me that the biggest worry is that it is difficult for many people to breathe on their own after intubation. I am scared to death of a bad outcome but am trying hard to convince myself that everything will be fine and I will breathe on my own and be a success story.

I was wondering if anybody else who may have also been intubated during the surgery due to being so heavy could offer any information or advice on how to handle this and how it went for them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any responses.

Alyssa

everyone is intubated but you may be placed on a respirator until they r sure you can breathe on ur own

Donna L.
on 11/5/15 4:00 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My surgery weight was 400 and they intubated me - and they intubate patients that weigh far more.  It's very safe.  I didn't go to the ICU, though.  They do have alternatives to intubation, but it's actually safer getting it being morbidly obese.  I've had surgery 4x while obese and never had issues breathing after.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/9/15 4:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Yes, I was intubated during surgery.  I think this is quite normal.  My weight on the day of surgery was 392.

I was in the ICU for the first night after my surgery.  The next day I was moved to a regular room.  As I have obstructive sleep apnea, they hooked me up to a CPAP for both nights in the hospital.  

Are you sure you're not confusing a respirator or ventilator with intubation?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

alyssa9933
on 11/9/15 6:26 pm - LA

Thanks for your response.  It's definitely intubation.  I have a heart condition and COPD on top of weighing 396 lbs now, after losing 30 on my pre-op 3 week diet.  My surgeon is worried that between my age and those two things that I am high risk.  He said that he wanted to put me into ICU for a day or two afterwards to make sure everything is ok.  He also said that alot of people with lung issues have a hard time breathing on their own after they are intubated, which is what scares me the most.  He also said (like you) that he wants me to bring my CPAP to use after they remove that.  I'm very nervous because the surgery is tomorrow morning but at least once it's over all this worrying and wondering how it will go will be over.  I am hoping for smooth sailing and am ready to get to the job of losing the weight.  Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

Alyssa

alyssa9933
on 11/9/15 6:32 pm - LA

I was just thinking and have another question for you if you don't mind.  Your email says you were in ICU for the first day which is what I will do.  Were you still intubated at the time or were they just monitoring you and you used the CPAP?

Alyssa

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/10/15 2:52 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I was only intubated in surgery under anesthesia.  Once I woke up in the recovery room, there was no tube down my throat.  I might have had a nose cannula with oxygen for a few hours.  They hooked up the CPAP when I told them I was ready to go to sleep that night.

I think that's why I'm confused about your situation.  Most people are intubated under general surgery conditions.  It's not unusual.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active