questions questions questions

Brandilynn230
on 1/1/16 12:06 am

Okay so I am 4 days after surgery. I had the DS performed and am super sore still!  But i am trying to wean myself off of the big pain meds. I have some questions. 

As of now I am required to take a scoop of powder vitamins provided by my doctors office three times a day. This is already becoming imposslible and makes me gag just thinking about. I know I have a few weeks until I can take the actual vitamins but i was curious as to what vitamins everyone else who has had the DS done? I know my Doc office is only going to suggest their brand, but there are other brands out there that work better or just as well?

different phases of diets? Right now I'm on "phase one" post op diet which is all liquids. I did 4 weeks all liquids before the surgery as well, so I am dying for actual food! I know I can do it but as far as phase 2 can someone tell me what a sample menu for that might be so I know what I can look forward to? lol 

I am still recovering and adjusting to this new life style but tonight was New years eve and I really am saying new year new me and MEANING IT THIS TIME! HAPPY NEW YEARS and thank you in advance. 

cross posted. 

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

NYMom222
on 1/1/16 2:59 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You might have a better DS-specific response from the DS board. I just ordered the patch multi-vitamin from PatchMD. They advertise on this site, and people seem to be having a good report on their labs using it. No pill swallowing required. Wear it 12 hours. My plan is to put it on in the evening and wear overnight.

They have 40% discount code too.  The new one is OHGoals

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mute
on 1/2/16 4:25 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I just wanted to say hi! I don't know much about the DS, hoping you got good responses on that board.

Happy New Years to you! Good luck to you and I really hope that everything is going well.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/5/16 12:29 am

Some surgeons offices sell some brand of vitamins, but any that I've seen are usually just overpriced, and too "one size fits all", which you will learn doesn't work for any of us. The general rule is to find a multi that is comparable to Centrum, and there are some inexpensive ones that have exactly the same as Centrum, but a *****eaper. I get the kirkland (costco brand) multi, and I've seen others post something similar from Sams and Walmart. Stuff like vitamin D (and E, K, and A, if you need these) will have to be ordered online as we need a dry formulation, not ones in oil. Taking many of our supplements individually on top of the multi is by far the most effective, and cheapest way to get what we need and keep on top of our labs. 

Most of us do monitor our own labs too, since my Drs office just says everything is "in range", but if I'm in the bottom 2%, that may be technically in range, but not for long. Also, we watch for trends, to avert going way out of range too.

Soft food stage - wow, it's been so long since I've been there, let me think. Of course, our surgeons all have such different criteria for what we can eat and when, so you should ask your surgeons office what they recommend, but a few early foods I ate were cottage cheese and ricotta, and I liked it flavored with either something savory, or sweet like a dessert. Sugar free jello or pudding was a common flavor I used to make something sweet. I also ate refried beans with cheese melted on them. When you can have a little more consistency, egg salad can be made pretty mushy or chewed well, as can tuna. Any meat you make into a "salad" like tuna or chicken, make sure it's very soft, possibly blended, and you add lots of moisture or mayo. Fat will be your friend with the DS, but maybe not right at first, so go slow. 

Soups of all sorts are good early food to, and some have a decent amount of protein as well, like stock based or bone broth soups, or even some can be made like egg drop soup. I like miso or hot/sour soup both with egg drop added as they cook. 

Yogurt helped my system reestablish some healthy gut flora as well, since the antibiotics you get with surgery has killed off any that were there, and it's best to give the good ones a head start on repopulating rather than letting some bad one (like ones that cause uncomfortable or stinky gas) get a start.

More important than anything you eat at this point, or even more than supplements, is to stay hydrated. Get as much fluid as you can, and watch for signs of dehydration like being light headed, dark colored pee, or headache. 

Most Active