Kidney Cancer

windchimes
on 2/27/12 2:08 pm

I found out two weeks ago I have Kidney Cancer. I have surgery in two weeks to remove half of my left kidney. I was hoping to have plastic surgery this year never did I think I would be having surgery to remove cancer. Feeling very lost and scared.

alexa007
on 3/19/12 8:58 pm

Kidney cancer is also known as renal cancer.  It is diseases in which kidney cells become malignant and grow out of control.  There are lots of factors include smoking, having high blood pressure and many more.  Surgery is the most common treatment.  

Fencing Kerry
windchimes
on 3/20/12 2:12 am
On March 20, 2012 at 3:58 AM Pacific Time, alexa007 wrote:

Kidney cancer is also known as renal cancer.  It is diseases in which kidney cells become malignant and grow out of control.  There are lots of factors include smoking, having high blood pressure and many more.  Surgery is the most common treatment.  

Fencing Kerry
Not trying to sound rude, but I do know what it is. I just never imagined I would be going through this. I had plans to have plastic surgery this year to get rid of excess skin and tummy tuck and other procedures this RCC just took me by surprise. My surgery is done I'm healing slowly but at least it was caught early and I have no Mets. As soon as I'm all the way healed I can start getting my life back on track which means eating right and exercise.

iisme
on 3/23/12 2:25 am

So sorry to hear you have to join the club that no one wants to be a member of. Although I have a different kind of cancer than you, I know the emotions you are going through. It really does get better as time goes on. I was so panicked before treatment but once I started the chemo and had a treatment plan in place everything just sort of came together and I was focused on getting better.
I know for us breast cancer women there is a wonderful board that helps us with questions and just "being there" for each other. Have you found one for kidney cancer? It will probably really help you.
Hang in there XXX

10 pounds loss pre-op
windchimes
on 3/23/12 5:00 am
On March 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM Pacific Time, iisme wrote:

So sorry to hear you have to join the club that no one wants to be a member of. Although I have a different kind of cancer than you, I know the emotions you are going through. It really does get better as time goes on. I was so panicked before treatment but once I started the chemo and had a treatment plan in place everything just sort of came together and I was focused on getting better.
I know for us breast cancer women there is a wonderful board that helps us with questions and just "being there" for each other. Have you found one for kidney cancer? It will probably really help you.
Hang in there XXX

Thank you. I'm starting to deal with it better now that I have had my surgery. I know that I will not have any chemo or radiation with this. They do not do that with Kidney cancer. I will have follow up CT scans how often I don't know yet. I go to see my doctor in three weeks to discuss my treatment plan. I'm just praying that no cells were left behind and that surgery removed it all. It has been a very stressful four months since they found the mass to the biopsy and then the results being cancer and the finally surgery. I do feel a big relief since having it removed now I'm finally starting to feel better I'm 10 days post op and ready to start being healthy and exercise and take care of myself again. Thank you again for your response.Take care and hope you are doing well also.

dfurey01
on 3/22/13 5:41 am - OK

I am a kidney cancer (renal cell carcinoma stage 3) survivor myself.  I had a radical nephrectomy of my left kidney in April 2009 and have been clean for the past 4 years.  I know what you are going through and I still have the fear of it returning to this day.  A good source of support can be found on cancercompass.com...I found alot of support there.  I am on this site now because I need to lose weight from all these meds i am on and my doctor said the WLS may be the answer.  Remember, its ok to be scared...cancer is scary...just get a good support team of family, freinds, and health professionals that are there to help you along the way!  Prayers your way!

windchimes
on 3/22/13 6:14 am
On March 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM Pacific Time, dfurey01 wrote:

I am a kidney cancer (renal cell carcinoma stage 3) survivor myself.  I had a radical nephrectomy of my left kidney in April 2009 and have been clean for the past 4 years.  I know what you are going through and I still have the fear of it returning to this day.  A good source of support can be found on cancercompass.com...I found alot of support there.  I am on this site now because I need to lose weight from all these meds i am on and my doctor said the WLS may be the answer.  Remember, its ok to be scared...cancer is scary...just get a good support team of family, freinds, and health professionals that are there to help you along the way!  Prayers your way!

Congrats on your four years of being cancer free. I just had my one year scan and I'm NED. Its been a rough year because I've had other health issues and have had five surgeries total. It's been horrible but it will get better. It's been an emotional roller coaster ride thats for sure. The fear is not as bad as it was when I first found out. Thank you for your reply.

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/13 8:06 pm - India

So sad to hear you need to join the club that neither man nor woman needs to be a part of. In spite of the fact that I have an alternate sort of tumor than you, I know the feelings you are experiencing.

David147
on 6/10/15 4:15 am

A) The kidneys are the urine producing organs that sit under the ribcage in the lower back. Cancer starts when a cell in a part of the body start to grow out of control abnormal cells. Sometimes cancer cells spread to the other part of the body. There are begin to grow and form new tumors. This process is called metastasis. There are many kidney cancers are found early, while they are still only in the kidney. But others are found at a more advance stage. 

B) Some reasons why kidney cancer may not be found early. 

1. The cancer can grow quite large without causing any pain or problems. 
2. Small kidney cancers can't be seem felt during physical exam. Because, The kidneys are deep inside the body. 
3. There are no good screening tests to look for kidney cancer in people who are not at increased risk. 

C) Symptoms of Kidney Cancers: 
1. Blood in urine 
2. A lump in the area of the kidney. 
3. Tiredness. 
4. Fever with sweating. 
5. A pain or ache in the lower back or side 

Thanks for your sharing......

M_reeds
on 10/8/15 7:21 am

Looking at this post and your replies im glad you look forward positive in life.

Most Active