Why is smoking not recommended when getting WLS

Natalia D.
on 3/10/04 4:52 am - Marietta, GA
I know this might be a stupid question but i've heard people been asked that or have read it while filling out an application and I wanted to know why if you are a smoker, you automatically do not qualify for the surgery although you have plenty of co-mor? What affect does cigarette smoking have on the surgery and if one is a smoker, how long should they wait after they stop to start with the WLS procedure?
Peggy R.
on 3/10/04 8:05 am - Verona, VA
hi smoking adds to the comlications of surgery of any type. it is hard will you are under in sugery, then fluid bluid up after sugery in your lungs and mostly it slows the healing of any wound. if you ever stop don't i say it again don't start again. good luck hope this helps peggy
kfelker
on 3/11/04 5:44 am - Fairfield, CT
I know at my doctor's office, when they were giving orientation to new patients, they said you had to quit for at least 30 days before you had the surgery. And cheating is NOT a good idea, because it's quite dangerous when you're going to be under anesthesia.
Jacibear1010
on 3/15/04 9:17 am - Kingman, AZ
Hi, this is going to be a horrible thing to tell you, but I cut back before my surgery. My husband told on me. The Dr. Oked my surgery he said my chest x-ray looked good and that my lungs were strong. I quit for only about two months he (the Dr.) told me to wait four months but I was under alot of stress of not being able to eat and instead of getting depressed I smoked. At first the smell of it bothered me alot. But then I was ok with it. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to recommened it or condole it. I'm a smoker and have been for years now. If you quit don't start back up I really wish I didn't. But you always hear of people getting depressed so I'm not depressed I've lost 115 in four and half months and I'm happy even if I can't really eat much. My sanity is I go outside and light one up. I hope this helps alittle bit. Quit before your surgery and stay a nonsmoker if you can. Its a nasty stinky habit. Jaci
Natalia D.
on 3/18/04 2:19 am - Marietta, GA
Thank you everyone for your responses. I got so many answers, all of which were good answers. I know i need to stop any way,not only because i want this procedure, but because it will be beneficial for my health. I mean,not only am i overweight and unhealthy, but on top, i smoke so i am just adding to more complications. I know there is this job that is hiring and the people can not smoke what so ever, so i am going to take that as a positive thing (if I get the job). So, this will be day one of not smoking for me!! WIsh me luck!! (my boyfriend smokes as well so its going to be hard) THanks everyone for your responses and even for reading this
Transplant N.
on 3/22/04 4:58 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
I am a surgical nurse, and smoking greatly increases your risk of developing a DVT (deep vein thrombosis or blood clot), if you have a blood clot it will migrate to the lungs and most likely you will die. This is one of the more common and serious complications with this surgery. That is why they make you walk the night after your surgery (most of the time depending on your condition), and they make you wear TED hose and use scds on your feet (support stockings with an apparatus on your feet that inflates and deflates constantly to encourage return blood flow). Smoking cessation is your best chance to keep from having a life threatening clot when you go to surgery. Never starting up is preferred, but most importantly listen to the doc and don't smoke for 30 days before your surgery. Nobody that has this surgery wants to die from it; decrease your chance of complications. Good luck!
StormRaven
on 5/6/04 6:11 am - Tallahassee, FL
When I had my consult at BTC,I was told I had to be smoke free for at least 6 weeks.They want you to stop because it can cause problems with the anesthesia.Your lungs need to be clear.
Monica L.
on 5/16/04 5:12 pm - lawrenceville, GA
I have also heard that smoking increases your chance for developing a leak because it makes your tissue weaker where they are trying to stitch or staple it together.
Most Active