Low Sugar Crash - Emergency Treatment? x posted

cathyteal
on 2/16/09 2:45 am - Arlington, TN
I am doing good with the exception of being VERY tierd. It seems to take everything out of me just to fix my hair. How long (on an average) will this last. I am caring for my 85 year old mother at home and I ahve to get better fast or I won't be able to do it very well.

My husband is in Law enforcement and from time to time he comes upon a person who is thought to be DUI when in fact they are only diabetic and are having a low sugar issue. He knows about diabetis having lived with me for 39 years. The usual treatment in the field is to give the person glucose tablets or a sugar based suryp provided by the EMT professionals.

He has been listning and watching my journey with this WLS and knows that I can't eat any sugar. He also knows that the adjustment period after surgery for a diabetic while not eating much can cause a crash in blood sugars. His question to me was since this surgery is becoming more common, It would be prudent in the training process to understand how to treat a diabetic crash without sugar based treatment in the field?

I am going to ask my Dr. when I go for my first check up, but I wondered if someone here already knew what to do. I thougt it was great that he even thought of it. I had never even considered it. I need to know too.
HW/297 SW/265 CW/206 GW/165  Lowest Weight 171 (12-09)

Kathy P.
on 2/16/09 6:24 am - Port Orchard, WA
Hi Cathy,
   I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. I agree that this information would be beneficial to anyone is a first responder situation. I posted previously, somewhere, about my friend, who is a RN, recommending I get a medic-alert bracelet which identifies me as a RNY with any other specifics for emergency treatment.  You can imagine the shock of an ER doc doing an endoscopy and getting cut short from reaching a full anatomically correct stomach. There would be a huge risk of perforation.
   Anyway, there's my 2 cents worth.  I do plan on getting a cute little bracelet/anklet. I hope you start feeling better soon. God Bless you for all that you are doing...you need to take care or you also.

Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
(deactivated member)
on 2/17/09 1:24 pm - Canada
Hi not sure but depending on how low the person is a glucogon injection would work. I wouldn't recommend using it unless you absolutely need too. It can make you nauseas if not that low. I carry one should I need it.
Tina B.
on 3/2/09 10:37 pm - Cumming, GA
I asked my surgeon about this before leaving the hospital. He told me to eat a cracker.  My sugar crashed the other day and I ate a FEW crackers and was ok.

laura48
on 3/9/09 7:23 am

Hi,
Are you still taking your diabetes medication?, you may not need to take it, therfore your blood sugars will not drop. But anyways, try deluted apple juice, it will help

cowgrl53
on 3/12/09 1:23 am - NM
I have been crashing about once a week lately getting down to the 40's and 50's and I'm not sure why..........   I had RNY in Nov of 07 and I am still about 4 lbs away from my goal.  I tried the 5 day pouch test to see if maybe I could get back to loosing and it made me crash.  I waited another week and tried the 5 Day Pouch test again and again I crashed so ---- no more or that.  But since that I still crash  about once a week and I am even having a few carbs during the day along with some fruit.    Any ideas?

Cowgrl
Get support in the Phentermine forums!

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 10:35 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Many RNYers, including those that never had any glucose/insulin issues prior to surgery, experience hypoglycemia after the RNY. If you ask about hypoglycemia on the RNY board (or the main board), you'll get quite a few responses!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 178 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 507 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 859 views