Levemir and Hair Loss

Wendy S.
on 10/13/10 11:50 am - Amsterdam, NY
I have been using Levemir flexpen since June, since then I have been losing handfuls of hair everyday. I thought it was my thyroid since my levels were low back in June... but I had a blood test last month and my thyroid was good. I have read that levemir can cause hairloss. I'm wondering if it will grow back? Since I'm having surgery on nov 1st I'm hoping I will no longer need insulin. I guess my question is has this happened to anyone? Is there a special shampoo or treatment to help?
Susank505
on 1/10/11 11:42 pm - Mt. Pleasant, MI
I switched to Levemir from Lantus some time ago because the Lantus was making me gain weight.  I already have thinning hair but have NOT noticed it thinning more since taking the Levemir.  That is my experience. 

I am 2 weeks out from RNY and have not taken insulin since then.  BS ranges from 98 to 130 until today.  Just started pureed foods yesterday and this am my BS was 171!  :(

Not sure how this is going to go but was hoping I would be off all meds.. :(

I do use Bosley hair shampoo and conditioner and this has helped with slowing down hair loss.  I am also taking 5mg of Biotin daily to help with hair regrowth.   Hope it works!! 
~Susan~    HT 5'6"
HW 278 / PRE-OP 270 / SW 260 / CW 197/ GW 150

WOOHOOO!!!!  I AM 60.8% TO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!!!!
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Ghandi

beatricegarmon
on 2/8/23 8:42 pm

I also suffer from hair loss but it's not a problem. Is Levemir a special shampoo?

tiny fishing

cathryn54
on 1/26/11 12:01 pm - CA
I have been on Levemir for over a year now. I have not noticed any hair loss since starting on it.
                                                   Surprised Kitty ... EXPLODING!!!
  "A woman is like a tea bag...you never know how strong she is until she is in hot water" ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 172 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 499 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 847 views