No more insulin!

Diane N.
on 2/3/04 10:13 am - Concord, NC
Hi everybody, I had type 2 diabetes and took 70 units of Lantua insulin at 8pm as well as 1 glucotrol in the am and 1 glucophage in am and 1 in pm. I am down to 1 glucophage in the am and I am 3 weeks post op today. It is wonderful not taking shots! I already feel like a new person, I seem to have more energy. Hope all that have this terrible disease can get relief with this surgery, like me. Diane
track
on 2/3/04 8:12 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
Isn't this surgery the most amazing procedure? I was a type 2 for years, and I kept it pretty well under control by meds, exercise and no sugars and watching what I ate, but I dreaded the fact that it could be progressing, regardless of what I did. Postop, I took to meds, and 45 days postop I was declared, no longer clinically a diabetic! Doesn't mean that I can't 'go back', but there's no way that I'm going to allow myself back in those waters! Anybody else have any success stories?
Diane N.
on 2/5/04 4:15 pm - Concord, NC
Dear Track, Yes this surgery is amazing. I hope we all can be declared no longer clinically a diabetic. My father was type 2 just like me and he died in his sleep at age 73. I want more time if possible. Good luck. Diane
Naes Wls J.
on 2/3/04 9:34 pm - NJ
Congratulations to you, I know how you feel, I also was type II, and had to take pills 2 times a day plus a needle at night. I'm so glad I don't have to do none of it anymore, thanks to my wls. I feel great. Enjoy the great feeling. take care**hugs**
Diane N.
on 2/5/04 4:18 pm - Concord, NC
Dear Nadine, It is so wonderful not to have to take a shot each night. I would get my husband to give it in my arm because I would bruise my stomach with the needle a lot of times and the thigh shot would always sting. It is a great feeling. I know you are happy to be off all meds and I hope I will be the same way soon. Diane
Nola E.
on 2/4/04 4:03 am - Dry Prong, la
I am so glad to hear this. I am waiting on my insurance approval for the surgery. I take 4 glucophage and 1 actos per day. I can't wait to get off the medicines and not be a diabetic again!
Diane N.
on 2/5/04 4:21 pm - Concord, NC
Dear Nola, I hope you are approved soon. It is so nice not to take so many meds. I came home from the hospital without insulin and quickly (within 10 days) cut out 1 glucotrol and 1 glucophage leaving me only taking 1 1000 mg glucophage daily. I hope to cut it out before too long. I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op and have lost 22 lbs. It is wonderful. Diane
boemary
on 2/5/04 1:57 pm - Ocala, FL
I am type 2 diabetic, and i take the shot 3x a day and do i shot of lantus insuline before bedtime, i was just wondering what is the procedure while you are on liquids after the wls? do you still have to check your bloodsugars as often and how did you know when to decrease the insuline? I am sure the sugars wouldnt be as high after wls but sometimes when my body is in a stress mode my sugars run high also. I know this due to having 3 abdominal /hernia repairs the last 2 years...(which by the way returned even bigger, so a TT is in the future for me also. God bless you all, and keep you safe!! I hope to join you all on the losing side in a few weeks, If anyone has any special diet they followed after wls being a diabetic please pass it on to me thanks in advance ooops! one more question what kind of protien drinks are you diabetics using???
Diane N.
on 2/5/04 4:12 pm - Concord, NC
Dear Mary, I have used carb solutions, met rx and carbolite drinks. I used very little meds in the hospital after surgery. They checked my sugar frequently there and gave me insulin as needed. When I got home I left off insulin as I had been instructed by my pcp to delete first. Then about 10 days post op I went to my pcp and he advised me to delete glucotrol and 1 glucophage and to take just 1 1000 mg glucophage in the am. I continue to take my blood sugar b4 breakfast and b4 supper. I vary between 116 and 152 but my pcp says that is fine as long as everything is going down, my blood sugars, and my weight. I hope this helps and good luck. Diane
boemary
on 2/7/04 2:18 pm - Ocala, FL
Thanks Diane, i was just courious about how things went after the wls, I will have to follow up with a endocrinologist after the wls I'm sure, but it sure is wonderful to know I wont have to watch my kids lil faces in horror everytime "mom has to do a shot", I was also wanted to ask you what kind of vitamins you took after your wls??? thanks in advance my e-mail is [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 849 views