Syndrome X

pfgetty
on 3/2/04 8:37 pm - Newport, NC
I am scheduled for surgery on April 8. I'm 55 and for the last 10 years I have been succumbing to the symptoms of Syndrome X............blood pressure getting worse and worse, diabetes worsening, protein in urine, cholesterol stuff always bad, and obesity and appetite harder and harder to control. All of these things get better if I eat better, but they also, over the long haul, are getting worse EVEN WITH a good diet. So I got discouraged and just when I thought there was no hope, I start hearing from my patients about WLS. Finally, something that may help. My mother's side..............grandfather, two uncles, and mother..........all had the same symptoms, and the men died before 60. (Women often have a little more time until post menopause when they begin catching up.........my mother died at 71). I don't want to because I have two school aged kids that I have to raise up. So I hope this works and I'm very sure it will. My staff was upset that I was having this surgery (I'm a dentist). OH my gosh, they said, you'll be out and it will be a mess. I said, what if I have the heart attack that I WILL have if I don't get going on this surgery? That kind of made them think and understand. Now they are supportive, but still keep asking, "Are you sure this is what you want to do?". Syndrome X is difficult because you feel, as the symptoms first come on, that you can stop it..............with diet, then with drugs. But the symptoms worsen, and the drugs increase, and the diet finally gets to be old hat and you just realize you are going down the tubes. Any others with this, please respond. Thanks.
Diane N.
on 3/3/04 11:47 am - Concord, NC
Dear Paul, I very much understand your plight. It is so hard to make people understand that you are doing this so you can live longer and have more quality to your life. I am in NC too, and we have a chat at night usually every night someone is in the chat by 8:30. Come join us sometime. We are mostly female but have had a few men in the henhouse. I wish you the best. Diane
boemary
on 3/10/04 4:00 am - Ocala, FL
I just wanted to wish you the best of luck Paul on your wls surgery, it will be a bumpy road in the beginning but hey wasnt everything we ever did that was new to us! keep the faith all will be fine God knows what he is doing and he knows thoes children need a healthy dad!!!! It is time to get into the game , so to speak, no more side lines for me!!!! listen to your heart! Mary
pfgetty
on 3/10/04 4:36 am - Newport, NC
Thank you. My surgeon was my (dental) patient today, so I got a chance to talk to him. He is very nice and energetic and optimistic and made me feel good about my decision. And my blood glucose is 250 today. Thanks Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 849 views