Why is smoking not recommended when getting WLS

Natalia D.
on 3/10/04 4:47 am - Marietta, GA
I know this might be a stupid question but i've heard people been asked that or have read it while filling out an application and I wanted to know why if you are a smoker, you automatically do not qualify for the surgery although you have plenty of co-mor? What affect does cigarette smoking have on the surgery and if one is a smoker, how long should they wait after they stop to start with the WLS procedure?
Natalia D.
on 3/10/04 4:48 am - Marietta, GA
sorry, i put this on the wrong post but if anyone can comment, i will be glad to read about it or any information.
lisamfriend
on 3/13/04 4:57 pm - Elk Grove, CA
Natalia: Don't quote me on this, but I have a feeling the answer to your question has to do with damage to your lungs that smoking can cause. There is already a concern with operating on overweight people - and apparently, there is the same amount of concern operating on smokers. When you put the two together, it's a big mess. I've heard that breathing can be difficult after surgery, specifically trying to take deep breaths. You might want to ask your PCP about it - they could probably give you some more information that makes sense! Hope this helps a little!
Marge D.
on 3/22/04 2:07 am - Mt. Vernon, IN
Lisa; the main reson why the surgeons ask smokers to quit is mostly because the chemicals in cigarettes massively reduce your healing time after surgery. You were correct on the 2 reasons you gave though. I had been smoking for over 30 yrs. and quit 10 days ago. Even though they advise you to quit 7 days before surgery; I feel it's easier to just try to quit ALOT sooner to better your chances.
Harriett H.
on 6/10/04 11:24 am - Alpharetta, GA
They say it takes more med to put you to sleep if you smoke unless it's emergency they ask you not to smoke at least a week before surgery, Harriett
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 172 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 499 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 847 views