Neuropathy??

Val B.
on 3/12/04 12:43 pm - Burleson, TX
Has anyone heard of someone shedding the pain of neuropathy after they had surgery an lost a large amount of weight. Any T2 diabetics out there who don't know what Neuropathy is, u better find out. It is worst than the pits. If I had to chose between being obease or having neuropathy, I would stay fat the rest of my painfull life.
Diane P.
on 3/13/04 10:08 pm - Elmont, NY
Thanks for asking this question as I would like to know the answer. I have neuropathy of my feet and it is so painful. I pray that the surgery will help in releiving this pain. But is nerve damage irreversible I wonder?
Val B.
on 3/15/04 1:32 am - Burleson, TX
I know that nerve damage is almost not reversible or I would have taken what ever it was to do it. Whe you get the Big N in your legs and hands you feel like chopping your extremeties off sometimes. It is a 24/7 situation. I am glad to read reports of folks not being diabetic anymore once the weight came off. This is very encouraging. I suppose I will run my own field research on my self to see what happens. I do know that prolonged elevated sugar counts and A1C of over 9 has a multitude of problems.
jujubeee
on 3/18/04 3:44 am - Phoenix, AZ
That is the MOST EXCELLENT question. I also live (if that's what you call it sometimes) with my feet on fire. I know exactly what you mean when you say cut if off! I've been doing research as well on the subject and there are some out there that believe that some kind of relief after losing weight and prolonged normal blood sugar levels is possible. There is also something called neurolysis procedures which decompress the nerves. I found thison www.neuropathysouthwest.org. Anyone out there not benefiting from neurontin? My doctor has me on pain medication as well but wants to send me to pain management so he can stop prescribing narcotics and pawn me off on someone else. Any advice?
Jennifer P.
on 3/31/04 10:53 am - Wichita, KS
I have had type 1 diabetes for 31 years and know all about neuropathy in the feet. Dummy that I am, I stand on my feet all day at work too. I did try Neurontin and was not too impressed with it. My neurologist switched me to Elavil (generic name - Amitriptyline) 100 mg for the pain of nerve damage. What a relief. For the most part, it has taken the pain away for me. My feet hurt and burn some anyway when I am working because of the standing. Just wanted to let you know that there are good meds out there for this. By the way, Elavil is an antidepressant it but the effect on the nerve damaged areas can be a side effect to the drug. Gppd luck!
Val B.
on 3/18/04 5:10 am - Burleson, TX
It is good and bad to hear someone who knows what you mean when you say my feet, legs and hands are numb but hurt like hell. Julie I was on 12 Nurontin a day for 1 year with no change. Pai mangement will not help. The pain won't go away with yoga, insence, tea leaves or what ever. They have to run their course. However, I have heard of the soothing effects of amoking this little 3 pointed leaf plant. I even tried a very large bottle of excellent rum and ended up with a large fallen down drunk with hurting hands and feet. I wish I would have paid more attention in chemistry class. I think that their is a relationship between protien and the nurons and the cover around the nerves that cause the nerves to hurt..
jujubeee
on 3/18/04 5:42 am - Phoenix, AZ
Not a bad idea about the amoking. Just need to find the right nursery around here that carries that plant you speak of. Did your dr. give you a hard time while you were on neurontin? Pain management seems to be the place they send you when they are through with you. Doctors are so afraid of prescribing narcotics these days that there are so many of us out there in real pain.
Val B.
on 3/18/04 11:14 am - Burleson, TX
I had a realy good neurologist who in fact sought of saved my life. He knew that I was a diabetic even though my PCP mis-diagnosed it. He insisted I have a full crdio work up. In short they my LAD 90% blocked and baloon it open. That was 5 years ago and I have been ok since except for a reqal bad bout with congestive heart failure. Sounds worse than it is. Just to much fluid around the heart. I take meds and things are ok. There is no doubt in my mind that when I drop 125 lbs I will feel great and perhaps add a couple of years to my life. I realy want to run again, Imiss it a lot. When I was on active duty I used to run4-5 miles at lunch everyday. I used to spend my mornings thinking about my run at lunch. I think I would rather drink good rum than go to PAIN MAN>
Nataly P.
on 7/1/04 1:31 pm - Carthage, mo
I am glad in a way to hear that I am not the only one who has this painful burning in my feet. The tops of my feet and ankels hurt so bad, that I usually fall asleep rocking my feet bk and forth and rapidly. For some reason it helps me. Some mornings I don't even want to put socks on or shoes, so I turn to the softess pair of slippers I can find. I had WLS onthe 25 of May. My sugars hv dropped in half. At this point I am not on any meds, from taking 10 a day before surgery. My feet hv some good days and still some bad days, butthey do not swell like they did before. My Dr. told me that as the weight came off it should get much more tolerable, but may not go away for good. At this point I will take any relief I can get. I hv also taken Amnitriptilene(sp) it did help some. I will update as I get along in the recovery and weight loss progress. Feel free to e-mail me about this or other diabetic issues. I am new at the WLS stuff, and I hate being a diabetic(II) I had to take insulin inthe hospital after surgery, because they were so high. Nat
Tealrose
on 7/27/04 6:51 am - Chickasaw, AL
I am also wondering the same thing. I am contemplating surgery. I am Type II Diabetic with AIC of 7.2 at the time due to lots of meds. I have neuropathy in my feet. I am taking 1800 mgs of neurontin a day and it has helped alot. I am having some problems with thinking of words when I talk to people and I think that is a side effect of neurontin, but I will be a dummy rather than have that burning pain. Good luck to all!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 172 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 498 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 846 views