hypoglycemic help...

kathie W.
on 4/5/04 9:11 am - douglassville, PA
Dear friends, I have a family history of diabetes however my numbers have always been ok. Years ago my daughter started to show signs there was a problem. We had her to the the doctor more the a dozen times for tests and always had the same results. Her sugar count was fine. ***After she passed out in school she was taken to the hospital. all along we thought her sugar count may have been too high when it was really too low.***We were sent to see another doctor who ran a battery of tests. It was then i started to read up on hypoglycemia. When her sugar count falls low she becomes confused and very emotional. sometimes it falls so fast that she can't to the nurses office in school fast enough to get help and falls down in the hallway. Shes been taken by ambulance to the hospital from school 4 times this school year. ****Wait, she also has a weight problem. She can't eat too often, she can't eat hi-calorie foods but she needs to eat every few hours and keep her calorie intake up enought to stabilize her sugar. *** On top of all this shes been told she won't be able to drive until she's stable, this above all else is the worse. She has been diagnosed with depression and anziety disorders. Is anyone out there that has a teenager who may want a pen-pal.?Shelly has been in chat rooms with kids who kind of think of her as nuts or think that her problems are just too much to talk about yet she really needs a friend. ***Please drop me a line and I'll pass them on to her. Once I get her started witha new pen-pal she'll take over on her own. Thanks so much. God bless....Kathie.
fuchia60
on 4/25/04 2:57 am - LaPlata, MD
My sister, who is now in her 40s, dealt with hypoglycemia. She too was overweight in her early years. She found a really good doctor (which I think is key here). We also have diabetes in our family, but weren't familiar with hypoglycemia. My sister went on a high protein, low carb diet, eating protein every few hours, and forced herself on an exercise program (bicyling every day, etc). She ate chicken hearts (a high, high form of protein) and had a fun time calling grocery stores looking for chicken hearts (for real, but they thought she was kidding). She has had it under control for years, but she is very disciplined in her diet and exercise. She makes it look easy, but I know it's not, but she has her protein drink in the morning, and salads with cheeses, etc. etc. I think the Diabetes Forecast magazine had an article on it not too long ago ... you might check your library...and again a doctor who is knowledgeable (and doesn't just dismiss it) is key. My sister is not an eligible teen age pen pal, sorry. But, you might try the Diabetes Forecast magazine, that list people and teens wanting pen pals in the back of it. Good Luck.
tinkerbell624
on 5/11/04 6:46 am - Pekin, IL
Im 21 and i have dibetes and my sugar when it falls it falls fast i carry with me a tube of glutose15. she can carry it in her book bag at school. does she carry a blood sugar machine?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 172 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 499 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 847 views