Type 1 on Insulin Pump needs advice

Nancy K.
on 6/14/04 11:24 am - Waterford, CT
I am a Type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump and would like to find someone who has had WLS and can talk about their experience. I am considering WLS, but have yet to find anyone (including my endo who is the head of a well known teaching school in CT), who has any experience with WLS and type 1 diabetics. Any help would be appreciated!!
Lucy K.
on 6/14/04 1:15 pm - Aberdeen, NJ
Nancy: I just sent you an email. Go read it! I hope us type 1 gals can stick together and get all the information we need to make the right decision. I am 33 years old and need to do something about my weight before I explode! I just worry so much about infection and not being able to get enough food and/or juice into me to combat hypoglycemia. I can't wait to meet with this surgeon on 6/28. I have a list of questions to choke a horse! Lucy
Mamadoe52
on 6/17/04 11:25 pm - griffith, IN
I had gestation diabetes 29 yrs ago and it never went away I'm still waiting for surgery. But I thought I talk to you anyway because I have an insulin pump and I also have lots of questions about the process before,during and after. I ususal consume about 140 u. of humolog plus 4 gucophage a day. and thats with a diet. My average FBS is 154 aveage. I can't wait not to have to take all this medication because in addition to this there about 20 other pills in the morning and 9 at nite. Keep me posted on what you find out I would appreciate it. Thanks Doris
SJWendy
on 9/3/04 11:41 am - Swedesboro, NJ
I just found this Diabetes forum, so answering your question 3 months later might not help. But, I'm 6 months PO RNY, Type 1 diabetic for 10 yrs, and have been on the insulin pump for a little over a year. My surgery went very well, no complications, thank GOD because I have two small boys that needed me. I reduced my insulin after surgery while on the liquid/puree diet/soft foods, and just keep monitoring it. Before surgery I was taking 120 units/day of insulin, but for the first 3 months after surgery it was only about 25 units/day. AND I was able to take Glucose Tabs to control low BS. Now that I'm 6 months PO, my insulin requirements are creeping back up, which is depressing me somewhat, but I'm down 72 lbs, feel great and have more energy. My only problem is my blood sugar is still spiking either high (with any bit of carbs) or low at night. Well any questions I can help with, you can e-mail me, Wendy 275/199.5/160
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 172 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 499 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 847 views