Pre-Diabetic question...

Michelle B.
on 8/10/04 2:29 pm - Kernersville, NC
Diabetes is strong on both sides of my family, and I had GD with both pregnancies... so that being said... I was diagnosed with Polyneuropathy about a year ago. The Neurologist said right away that it was Diabetic Neuropathy, and that I needed to be tested right away due to my family history, and weight history. When that came back negative, he diagnosed the polyneuropathy and just explained it as random nerve damage. When I asked him what causes this, he said the number one cause is diabetes. So, after he explained where the nerve damage was, and gave me no explanation for the random numbness in my back, he discussed no treatment options, no follow-up visit, and just left it at that. Needless to say I'll be looking for a new neurologist as a venture down this new path. (I have had a lot of bad luck with neurologists! lol) I do have my 3 hour glucose test scheduled for next week to check again. Now, I have a question that has just been bugging me all night, and I thought I'd post it here... Do you think that with being in a pre-diabetic state and having high blood sugar (testing at home my numbers are on the high side) can bring on some of the same problems as actually having diabetes itself? Did anyone experience any major diabetic symptoms before actually being diagnosed? Thanks so much in advance... Michelle (who is looking for a good neurologist in North Carolina haha)
jujubeee
on 8/10/04 8:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Michelle, I may not be much help but I am a type 2 diabetic for 15 years and I started out as gestational as well with a HUGE family history (on both sides) of the disease. I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet and legs. I also saw a neurologist who tested and diagnosed me but never treated me as well. My pcp treated me and continues to treat me. There is no real "cure" for nerve damage although there is a surgery called nerve decompression surgery that you can have if your brave. You should research that if your interested. Because nerve damage is usually irreversible that may be why you aren't being "treated" by your neurologist. Anyways, appropriate treatment seems to be to take neurontin (they are not sure why it works but it does in some cases) and possibly elavil as well. Narcotic pain relievers are sometimes prescribed as tylenol and aspirins usually have no effect on nerve pain. Neuropathy can be painful or be "numbness". Of course you already know to watch out for that. Good news is that you can usually prevent the neuropathy from getting worse with good blood sugar control. A low carb diet can be EXTREMELY helpful for diabetics or borderline diabetics. I'm looking forward to the surgery to lengthen my life free of diabetes and medications...my surgery date is Nov 2nd. How about you? Sincerely, Julie
amanda H.
on 9/19/04 12:40 pm - jacksonville, AL
michelle, hi im amanda im 27 , i have 2 kids but- ive been diabetic type 2 since i was 8 years old take insulin , pills if i have this surgery of gasset bypass will it hurt me worse , or will it be better on me. thanks very nerves have a date on october 28 of 04
Scary L.
on 8/12/04 6:39 am
I also have type 2 and I always failed my urine dip testes they would do on me for my job physicals. I would go to my family Dr. and he would do the blood work and tell me that there was nothing wrong. My eyesight got worse. Needed glasses renewed every six months, Had numbness in my hands and feet. I finally went to a Dr. that was assoc. with The American Diabetes Assoc. He looked at my past history and told me I have been diabetic for the last four years.(from that time) My doctor was going by the old standards of 140 was normal for blood sugar but, in reality the limit is 126 by the ADA standards. If you blood surgar is higher than 126 right after waking then you would be diagnosed as a diabetic by the ADA standards. If it is higher then 180 it can be doing damage to or internal organs. I am not a doctor I have just done alot of listening to my NEW DR. Do a search of American Diabetes Assoc website and look for a Dr. in your area that is listed on the site. God Bless you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 849 views