HELP!!!!!3 year Post-op RNY..Dr. wants to do GTT..HOW?..m

Donna P.
on 11/7/04 8:49 am - Littlefield, TX
I have been having symptoms of diabetes/ insulin dumping.My PCM wants to check for diabetes, but I cannot drink the cola syrup because of the RNY. HOW can I find out if I am diabetic? Any ideas? Thanks, Donna
Michelle L.
on 11/8/04 1:27 am - Waltham, MA
Donna, If you haven't done so yet, you should contact your surgeon and ask for his/her advice. My doctor's office uses jelly beans instead of the syrup to check for diabetes. They have the same exact effect, not sure if you can eat them instead. Good luck, Michelle
Donna P.
on 11/8/04 3:47 am - Littlefield, TX
Thank you for your response. I am no longer in the area of my original surgeon. I saw a local gastric surgeon, with no help. I went to my primary Dr. She did more in one visit than he did in 2 months. I cannot eat jelly beans. I cannot eat anything sweet like that. Are you post RNY? Thanks, Donna
SJWendy
on 11/8/04 11:45 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Can't they find out from blood work if your diabetic? Just curious, what is insulin dumping? Good luck! Wendy Type 1 Diabetic 275/186/150
MyLady Heidi
on 11/9/04 9:22 am
Hi I found out I was diabetic 2 years ago and I never had to drink anything, they did it all from blood tests, the hemoglobin a1c test tells what your blood sugar has been for the last 3 months overall. I didn't even know any doctors still did the glucose tolerance test. Good Luck, I am having the gastric bypass surgery to escape from diabetes, I hope you don't have diabetes. Heidi
ladydi01
on 11/21/04 10:46 pm - Spring, TX
I would check with a Endo. Dr. Most of them do not test with sugar. That is dangerous for a true Diabetic. They can do an HC1. That will test your pancreatis activity for the last several months. Diana
peggy B.
on 1/23/05 2:07 pm - Yuba City, CA
Donna If you haven't already..ask the doc to do a two hour tolerance test. they take your blood, then you go eat and come back in two hours and they check your sugar...you do not drink a sweet drink .........just eat a normal breakfast. Peggy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 849 views