glucose levels won't go down

Karen B.
on 11/15/04 8:41 am - Vineyard Haven, MA
I had surgery 6 months ago and have lost 63 pounds. I'm 5 pounds from having a normal weight BMI. I hope to lose another 20 pounds. I eat about 1200 calories a day and exercise 5 days a week. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do, and feeling great. I went to my endocrinologist today and he reviewed my bloodwork. My A1C is 7.7, and my fasting morning glucose was 218. My liver function tests were high too. I can't figure this out. My morning glucose readings have been reading high for the past few weeks, 160's-170's. I had stopped all of my medications, but now the doctor recommends that I start back on the metformin. He said that there are 2 ways that glucose will increase in the blood and that's by the food we eat and through what the liver produces. Since I'm following a strict diet, it probably isn't what I'm eating that's increasing the insulin. He said there are 2 ways to reduce the glucose in the blood, and that's through exercise and through medicine. Since I'm exercising regularly, I'm probably doing all that I can do there too. So...that leaves me with starting back on the medicine. I guess I'm just disappointed that the surgery didn't get rid of my need for medicine. The medicine is what was driving me crazy in the first place...I never felt good. Of course I was on a lot of other meds too, so maybe just taking the metformin won't effect me as profoundly. I always thought that if I just lost 10 pounds I'd be so much better. I've lost over 60 and I'm only a little better. Oh well. Just had to vent. Maybe another 20 pounds will make the difference.
TyLock
on 12/14/04 2:17 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
Howdy, Well I just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this , my brother is having some problems, they said something about him being a brittle diabetic, I am not sure what that is , but , he was almost off his meds for diabetes and then one day his levels shot up and so they increased his meds then his dropped to below 40 and almost went into a coma, this has happend three times and the Dr's don't know why. So I think it is better to stay a little high rather than crashing. I am diabetic also and am waiting for approval for the RNY, I too am looking forward to being off the meds. I will pray for you. You pray for me, and where two agree on anything in prayer God will answer. In HIS service : Terri L.
bob-haller
on 12/29/04 1:09 am - Pittsburgh, Pa
Try dopubling your exercise for a month, that should help futher. Its worth a try and might be better than taking pills
MetaP
on 1/1/05 2:38 pm - Weston, CO
Hi, I'm new to this forum and as I'm surfing I was intrigued by your post. I'm a brittle diabetic and have had almost 30 years of playing this game. Over the years I've come to realize that my diabetes is most definitely 'stress related' and goes up or down accordingly. I can eat the exact same food from one day to the next and blood sugars will bounce all over depending upon my stress level. Sometimes I don't even realize that I'm under stress. That's the most difficult of all. With moving, I've had several doctors and each has to see it for themselves. Sooooo perhaps the fluctations are somehow stress related. Check this out with your doctor. I'm having RNY on Feb. 2 and I'm looking forward to reducing my insulin amount drastically. In fact, I've been researching through the NIH and ADA and both are now recommending WLS as a potential cure for diabetes. I think that's a fascinating development. Good luck in finding out why your levels are what they are.
Karen B.
on 1/2/05 9:54 am - Vineyard Haven, MA
I've never thought to track my glucose levels along with my stress level. That is something I will keep closer tabs on. Since I wrote my original post, I've lost another 10 pounds and my glucose readings are in the normal range. I'm taking 1 metformin pill in the morning and that seems to keep me in check. If I can get another 10 pounds off, I will try dropping the last pill. My doctor said that the metformin wouldn't cause me to have low blood sugars, but for a couple of weeks while I was taking 2 pills I certainly was experiencing low sugars. Now that I've dropped one of the pills I seem to be better. It's all such a guessing game with these drugs. My thoughts will be with you on Feb. 2. This surgery has absolutely changed my life for the better. I'm a different person than I was 7 months ago...happy, energetic, alive. I never thought I'd be able to function again the way I am now. Diabetes is a nasty disease that slowly takes away ones' life. I feel like a great weight has been lifted and now maybe I'll make it into my 90's.
Just J.
on 1/24/05 10:59 am - Manning, SC
Hi, Meta, I tried to email you but for some reason, my computer doesn't want to cooperate with me tonight. I, too am a Brittle Diabetic and WAS scheduled for lap RNY on Feb 2, just like you. Unfortunately, mine had to be postponed until April 13 because I went into diabetic ketoacidosis right before Christmas and almost died. Spent 6 nights in ICU, but I was so sick I don't remember a whole lot about it. Anyway, you look pretty young to have been a type 2 diabetic for 30 years, so I am assuming you are a type 1 like me. Unfortunately, surgery is a potential and very often a cure for type 2 diabetics, but us type 1's will never get off insulin because our pancreases don't make any insulin at all. My PCP did tell me that he expected my WLS to do more for my diabetes than any amount of insulin he could prescribe, but I would always have to have some. Anyway, have you come across much about the RNY with Type 1's? I am a little more than concerned as to how I will be treated post op. I've seen some cases that had no problems and others that were in ICU in ketoacidosis. Having just been there, I don't want a repeat preformance. The night before I woke up in letoacidosis, I went to bed with a BS of 127. The next morning it was over 600 fasting! I know that stress causes mine to fluctuate greatly, but I can't think of any particular stress I was under at that time. I am checking my sugars like 10 and 12 times a day now and hating it, but for the first time since I became a diabetic, I have an average glucose of 170 per a Fructosamine test done at my endocrinologist's office last week. She explained that the fructosamine is like an A1C except that it measures the average glucose over a two to three WEEK period instead of a three month period. Anyway, please contact me at [email protected]. I really would like to keep in touch. Jeannie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 849 views