Type 1 Diabetes

beebee
on 12/31/04 2:20 pm - eglin afb, FL
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 19 years. I have a few diabetes complications such as kidneys leaking protein and mild neuropathy. My WLS will be in about a month. I am curious as to how WLS has affected other type 1 diabetics that have had diabetes complications before surgery.
Michelle L.
on 2/9/05 1:34 am - Waltham, MA
Hi Bee Bee: I've had type 1 diabetes for 24 years and had open RNY in May of 2004. I'm thrilled now that I had the surgery. Had you asked me about it in the 4-6 weeks after the surgery I would have told you that I regretted it and that I was miserable! I developed diabetic ketoacidosis, (DKA), when I got home from the hospital, (1 week post-op), I went to the hospital, but wasn't diagnosed with DNA, (I had no idea and my surgeon and his staff had no idea because my blood sugars were fine) They hydrated me, keep me in the hospital for a week, then sent me home. A week later, (about three weeks post-op), I got sick again. Thankfully the ER doctor figured out it was DKA and was able to treat me. I spent another week in the hospital, and I've been fine since I got out. My endocrynologist would not let me leave the hospital until I could consume 75 grams of carbs a day! To me that sounded almost impossible, I was so afraid I would dump. Anyway, I drank glucerna which was okay, carnation instant breakfast mixed with skim milk, (a good amount of carbs in milk), and apple juice 50% watered down. It took me all day to drink all of the carbs and water I was supposed to, but it got easier every day. I think this surgery can work for people with type 1, as it did for me, but you have to be aware of the great risk of DKA. I've lost 73 pounds in 9 months and I'm so glad I had it done. Weight loss is slower with type 1's because we have to eat some carbs, but it does work! I have a pump, but wasn't allowed to wear it during surgery. Good luck and please e-mail me if you have any more questions or if you just want to talk. [email protected] Michelle
Kathleen C.
on 3/14/05 12:38 am - Broken Arrow, OK
Hello, I too have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years with very few complications. however I have gained weight and become insulin resistant. I'm on a pump taking about 100 units of Humalog a day. I have been approved for the gastic bypass but I haven't been instructed on what to do for my diabetes. The same day I got my letter from my surgeon my endocrinologist dropped me saying that she felt I was too much of a risk. She initially thought bypass was a great idea, then said it was too risky for her (she could be held liable) and wouldnt' help in any way. What things do I need to know before I have surgery? Can you tell me more about your experience, did you go into DKA because you were not drinking proteins or because of the low carbs? Also did you do alright on the liquids? My surgeron makes a 30 cc pouch. So he said that my liquids diet would be for 3 weeks. Any help or advice would be great!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 849 views