popcorn??

Irene Gunnink
on 4/1/11 12:29 am - Three Rivers, MI
since my DS, I have tried to munch on popcorn (light night time snack) - three out of four times I have had a severe reaction to it after just two/three small bits -- all over body flush - very hot - *****ly - last for about 45 minutes ... any one else experience this?  popcorn had been a night time snack for years ... wondering what would cause the reaction ... 
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wdZixPp/weight.png[/img] [/url]    
P. Poster
on 4/1/11 12:37 am
 Are you eating it shortly after or WITH any vitamins?  Popcorn is also a natural source of niacin, so you may be having niacin flush if you have become hyper sensitive to niacin.  Or, it could be an allergy or sensitivity to something.  You can develop allergies at ANY time, and they worsen over time once developed as well.  If you can't pin it down to anything else (like your vites), I would try a different brand, or make your own air popped and add seasonings/parmesan cheese/butter/ect yourself to control what goes in it.  If it STILL happens, I would, unfortunately, recommend you avoid popcorn...
beemerbeeper
on 4/1/11 1:39 am - AL
Hijack:

Who dat in the tank top?  Woo Hoo!

~B

P. Poster
on 4/1/11 1:48 am
 LOL, ME!!  It's ME?!  I can't believe it :)  Thanks!
Blank Out
on 4/1/11 2:07 am
 Smarty pants!  I did not know that about popcorn!  Cool factoid!  Love your new profile pic btw!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

P. Poster
on 4/1/11 2:10 am
 Ooooh, there is MUCH to know about popcorn!  It's kinda a super food :)  Did you know 3.5oz has about 12g protein?  It also has iron, calcium, phosphorous, thiamin, riboflavin and all sorts of goodies :)  EAT YOUR POPCORN!  It really IS good for you :)  

And thank you love!  
MarciRenee
on 4/1/11 4:56 am, edited 4/1/11 5:05 am - IA

Popcorn IS a superfood and I LOVE it! 

I saw those stats and thought WOW that's a lot better than what www.myfitnesspal.com has been telling me!  So I dug around a little and found that those stats might be a bit off and I don't want people having the wrong idea about how much protein and fiber is in their popcorn... according to info that I have found (on quite a few packages of microwave popcorn AND the Internet) it doesn't have 12g of protein per 3.5 cups.  The average that I have found is that it has about 1 gram of protein and a little over 1 gram of fiber per cup.  Here's a link -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn#Nutritional_value OR http://www.ehow.com/facts_5209495_nutritional-value-popcorn.html

1 cup of popped popcorn is about 8-11 grams.  The above information would look like (assuming 10 grams = 1 cup of popped popcorn):
Carbs = 7.8
Fiber = 1.5
Fat = .4
Protein = 1.2
Thiamine = .02 mg
Riboflavin = .03
Iron = .27

So assuming you eat the whole bag of microwave popcorn - we will assume that it has 8 cups in it - your stats would look like this (not including the fat b/c the above stats were based on air popped):
Carbs = 62.4 (thank goodness it is a COMPLEX carb!)
Fiber = 12
Protein = 9.6

And of course if you throw extra butter or cheese on there that will up the protein some (AND taste better!!)...

Marci       
mrsannie
on 4/1/11 9:22 pm
OK that makes more sense.  I read that posting and I thought "Wow!  why didn't I know about this?"  and "I gotta get me some!"

I knew It couldn't have that much protein, thanks for clearing that up!  :)

Also, popscorn is really good, but it can cause gas so whatch out!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
P. Poster
on 4/4/11 3:02 pm, edited 4/4/11 3:03 pm
 From the USDA- (also listed on the Wiki link you referenced...).  I think you misplaced your decimal points.  Right numbers, wrong placement.

Popcorn, air-popped, no additives
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 1,598 kJ (382 kcal)
Carbohydrates 78 g
Dietary fiber 15 g
Fat 4 g
Protein 12 g
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.2 mg (15%)
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.3 mg (20%)
Iron 2.7 mg (22%)
One cup is 8 grams.
Percentages are relative to US recommendationsfor adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database
MarciRenee
on 4/4/11 3:26 pm, edited 4/4/11 3:29 pm - IA
I don't think I misplaced the decimal point (and I don't want to belabor the point, I just want to make sure that everyone has the right info so that when they are making decisions on what to eat it is based on correct numbers) and I think we both just want to help the peeps out...Just as a clarification the 100 grams = 12.5 cups of popped popcorn.  At the bottom of the wikilink (and your cited FDA chart) it states that 1 cup popped popcorn equals 8 grams.  So your information is correct for the 100 grams of popcorn - but they go on to clarify that 1 cup = 8 grams.  Also when you search the FDA website for air popped popcorn one of the amounts listed is 1 cup and it states that it weighs 8 grams. 

edited to make the FDA link work but it isn't playing nice - http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ search there for your popcorn choices, if you like!
Marci       
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 737 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1037 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 348 views