WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU REACH YOUR GOAL

angie51
on 6/14/11 5:05 am - Dallas, GA
Do u continue to lose ?
When do you stop losing?
How do you stop losing?

beemerbeeper
on 6/14/11 5:11 am - AL
Most people tend to loose a little more than they expected.  Some people freak out about that and try to regain.  But most people will stop loosing on their own and then bouce back about 10 lbs and settle in.  when you are about 10 lbs under your goal you can start adding back in some complex carbs and you will level out.

That is most people's experience. 

Your body will tell you where it wants to be.

My personal experience is that I LIKED my lowest weight which was well under my goal weight and I haen't been happy with my weight since I had a bouce back.  I'm currently trying to get back to my lowest weight because I felt best there.  But my body disagrees.

~Becky

P. Poster
on 6/14/11 5:27 am
 I can only answer for myself...

1. Yes, I have continued to lose, albeit VERY slowly, I am still losing (about 2-3lbs a month).  I eat a lot of carbs though, and I know if I cut them out, I'd lose more quickly.  I just don't really WANT to keep losing at this point.

2. No clue.

3. My guess is your body just knows where to stop.  Or, you add in enough carbs to counteract the losing cycle, but, eventually, this can/will cause regain.  Soooo...  There are also digestive enzymes that can be taken to stop loss and cause regain, if medical intervention is needed for any reason.
PekinSal
on 6/14/11 6:14 am - UK
You'd lose if you kept the strict no carbs thing going, but life's too short to punish yourself isnt it.

I stopped when I'd got down to some kind of normal and where I felt happy in comparison to the effort I knew it would take to keep going

You stop by eating more carbs. Drink more sugar, eat bread etc etc. It takes a bit of experimenting to not go so mad that you start gaining again - keep an eye on yourself once a week perhaps. I've stayed the same for ages now, and I don't really stress too hard about any of it.

xxx

DS revision from failed lapband

Elizabeth N.
on 6/14/11 2:31 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Most people stop losing without doing much of anything differently. A lot of folks who lose all their excess weight drop to a lowest weight, sometimes getting a little nervous in the process, and then bounce back to a nice stable weight. For example, the lowest weight I ever saw on my PCP's scale was 160, but I've come back around 20-25 pounds. I am hoping to whittle off something like 10-15 pounds so that my jeans and slacks fit nicely again (the fit of my clothing is what I go by more than the scale weight; I don't own a scale and only weigh at the doc or the gym). But if that doesn't happen with the degree of effort I am willing to invest, I'll just declare this the new normal and go on my merry way :-).

I might have gotten a little lower than 160 for a bit, I don't know. I did get to a point where I felt bony and unwell, and was having a bit of poop trouble, for which my surgeon suggested Creon. I took Creon for, oh, I'm thinking several weeks, put on a couple pounds or so and the poop issue stabilized. So I quit taking the stuff.

In any case, my experience at 4-1/2 years out is that I'm like a normal person who gets a few pounds heavier than desired and so makes some intake and movement adjustments to take it off. So far, so good :-).

Tassia
on 6/14/11 7:37 pm
I pretty much stopped losing where I wanted to be.  Perhaps its subconscious that I allow myself more carbs-therefore my weight loss has stopped.  

I have noticed that if I cut out the carbs, load up on water, I can lose 2-3 pounds in a few days.  But like someone else said, whypunish myself?  The physical carb effects-gas, diarrhea-have lessened, so its not uncomfortable like it had been.  And size 4 is small enough for me!
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/11 11:57 pm
I reached goal 6 months ago so maintenance is new to me. Yes I continue to lose but I've allowed more carbs in so I fluctuate between 138 and 141 lbs on most days. Sometimes if I eat too many bad carbs I'll bloat up to 147 (this happend a few days ago) and once my body gets rid of it, I'm back down to my weight range again.

Not sure when you stop losing...it's my understand your body dictates when you slow down or stop. Since I'm a baby DS'er, I'm keen to DS vets at 3 years out or longer to see how it is for them.

I was recently  told to not go under 130 lbs or a size 6. I'm a size 8 and happy where I'm at 138-141 lbs.  To slow the weight loss I have to put more carbs in my diet. There is no way around it for me. While I do eat the bad carbs I try my best to eat healthier carbs in veggies, fruits, even breads. It's interesting to see how my body reacts to every day eating.  A lot of times I get on the scale and am amazed at the number reflecting back, especially after what I had been eating. Sure do love my DS!
Sheanie
on 6/15/11 2:43 am
I bounced, baby!  I rocketed down to my lowest weight, bounced back up 5 pounds, and am now stabilized at 115.  I was freaked that I would lose too much weight, being what they refer to as a "lightweight" here, but no worries.  I eat one candy bar every day (usually a York peppermint patty).  I also don't eat bread or anything made from flour as a rule, but only because of painful bloating, not because of the carbs.  I don't count carbs and still don't own a scale.  I go by how my pants fit.  My skinniest jeans still fit (for now).

I think it all depends on if you can stretch out your sleeve or not.  Personally, I have a tiny, tight little sleeve that has given me alot of issues.  The restriction is still very good, although it has loosened up to where I can now eat a little more.  I used to be able to only eat 4-5 shrimp at a time.  Now I can triple that, and I'm hungry again in an hour.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

curvalicious1
on 6/15/11 7:25 am
For me my goal was 145. I looked up and i was 135. Way too skinny for me. You could see the bones in my chest. I couldnt gain back fast enough. I also took some pancreatic enzymes and that helped. now i maintain between 145 and 150 by eating everything in the book. when i was 135 i ate a lot of healthy stuff... turkey chicken fish but sometimes bacon.  I charted my calories and protein. Although I was getting in 90+ protein my cal intake was 1200- 1500. I needed to double that. now i still eat those things but i also eat chicken wings, burgers with both buns, tacos, hotdogs, a candy bar and fruit juice. if i have a salad, its a very fattening salad. Soon as I start going towards 145 i eat more carbs. I also have a weight gainer protein that I have from time to time. It has more calories than my regular protein shakes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 739 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1038 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views