Seems silly but

skprmark
on 7/29/11 6:17 am, edited 7/29/11 6:21 am - Long Beach, CA
I realize that we all mend at our own pace and at different rates.Some may never be able to consume certain foods. However I have one question. What about alcohol? Seems silly I know and I don't really have vices, except food of course, but I am curious just starting this journey. I don't drink to access or even to get drunk, however I do have a taste for a good single malt scotch on occassion. After consuming it for almost 20 years it is a simple pleasure but one I would hate to give up forever.

Skprmark
yorkieGal
on 7/29/11 6:31 am - Clermont, FL
hey Mark, I have a vodka, soda and with lime wedges when I want a drink as opposed to wine which is loaded with carbs. I find that I am a cheap date these days and just a couple of driks even with food affects me, but on the + side, it doesnt seem to hang around in my system too long.
Post op I think most surgeons say to wait 6 months and make sure your labs are ok for your liver enzymes as rapid weight loss puts the liver under enormous pressure without us adding alcohol in as well !! alot of us take Milk thistle to support the liver and I continue to take this even at 3.5 yers out.

But I had a few drinks around 8 months out and have continued to have a couple of drinks a couple of times a week since then with no il effects to either my ALT scores or my weight loss so its all good!!

Yorkie x

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

skprmark
on 7/30/11 5:56 am - Long Beach, CA
Yorkie,

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know this is one habit I'll be able to keep.

Mark
Elizabeth N.
on 7/30/11 6:40 am - Burlington County, NJ
It should be just fine down the road. I have found that straight hard liquor just kills my stomach and have heard the same thing from others. I don't suppose a scotch and soda would really be the same thing, eh? I drink beer, malt beverages, wine and the occasional mixed drink. Sour mix is out for me, too. OWIE.

But no, it's not forbidden forever. You just might have to change your poison :-).

Jolly Rancher
on 7/30/11 8:50 am
I would definitely hold back during the rapid weight loss phase. After that, the occasional drink should be just fine. Of course you'll want to try your drink at home first just in case it hits you harder or causes gastric distress. I might be in the minority, but I have exactly the same relationship with alcohol post op as I did pre-op. I don't get drunk any quicker and I don't sober up any quicker either. I usually go out on saturdays (and sometimes Friday or another day of the week) and have a couple of drinks with my meal. My choice varies with my mood. Your mileage may vary n
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 988 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1173 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 455 views