HUNGRY ALL THE TIME!

angie51
on 8/31/11 12:00 am - Dallas, GA
  I had my surgery a yr ago and am hungry every minute of every day.   I crave foods like fried rice and meats and mostly things I never cared much about before surgery.  I am still losing weight but need to curb this constant hunger.  As soon as I eat I am hungry again.  I wonder if its the vitamins.  It gets really bad at bedtime.  I could eat everything in the house.

Blank Out
on 8/31/11 12:04 am
 You should eat!  You don't want to slow your metabolic rate!  Eat more protein and fatty foods!  You should not ignore the hunger!!!!  When you feel empty, grap a greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, etc....

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

angie51
on 8/31/11 12:24 am - Dallas, GA
I can now almost eat the same amt I could eat before surgery.  I guess my stomach has stretched back.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/31/11 12:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
Time to make better choices to maximize the malabsorption factor, then.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/31/11 12:37 am - Burlington County, NJ
Get your labs done, and make sure it's the whole gamut of labs.

Otherwise, EAT!! Make it protein. Make a commitment to not put anything carby in your mouth, every single time you crave a carb, until you have ingested 30 grams of protein FROM FOOD. If it's meat you crave, honey, we NEED meat! Eat up and enjoy!

Protein loading like that will help. Make your protein choices without regard to fat content. Fat gives satiety. If it's fried salami you're craving (to use an "evil food" example under the diet mentality), go for it. It's free food for us!

I make sure to have lots of really good cheese in the house. I'll cube up anywhere from a quarter to half a pound and have it handy for nibbling. Nuts don't do it for me so much, but lots of people enjoy them.

Eat DENSE food, not food that slides through easily. I adored my Greek yogurt, but it doesn't stay with me all that long. Hunks of summer sausage, OTOH, stick around my ribs a while.

If it's sweets I'm wanting, I don't do anything fake. No fat free or sugar free for me. I purposely make very fatty choices (like cheesecake or very good chocolate) because of the satisfaction/satiety factor. (That and I need LOTS of fat to poop well.)

Remember, because of the malabsorption, if you are sticking to a high protein, high fat, relatively low carb diet, you are absorbing less than half the calories you ingest. So if you're counting your calories, think of that. It makes sense to be hungry if you're only absorbing, say, 1,000 calories--and it takes a hunk of eating (IF you're watching the carbs) to get even that far.

angie51
on 8/31/11 12:50 am - Dallas, GA
WOW THANKS for the info! luv ya dolling

beth-28
on 8/31/11 11:51 am
Oh bless you, Elizabeth!!   Everytime someone posted about sugar-free products I cringed thinking I would have to start using sugar-free products. ( I loathe sugar-free stuff). When I get my DS I am going to avoid sugary stuff, but it's nice to know that I can have some sugar later on.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/1/11 10:19 am - Burlington County, NJ
Everyone is different. You might do well to check with your surgeon and talk to some of his DSers about how they do. There are some correlations among a surgeon's patients' outcomes and problems. Not too many of Dr. Peters' DSers, for example, seem to have bad bowel issues. I can think of two who are exceptions to this, but generally that particular issue doesn't seem to crop up too much for him. (That's also from a rather short window of followup, usually under two years, and it's an informal assessment--as he's always quick to add when making such observations.)

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 2:28 am - Lancaster, OH
Elizabeth N.
on 8/31/11 11:55 am - Burlington County, NJ
*very deep sigh* Thanks for the reminder.

To the OP: I sure hope you've gotten more compliant in the last several months, because in that thread you were on the straight, broad path to perdition.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 952 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1158 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 417 views