Doc for DS Revision

DawnVA
on 11/6/11 8:30 am - VA

Can anyone recommend a doctor in Virginia who will perform a revision of RNY to DS?  I'm sorta researching it even though I've heard the risks are significant.

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 8:38 am - San Jose, CA
There is only one surgeon in VA who DOES the DS, Elariny in Vienna, and to be honest, we don't recommend him for revisions - I'm drawing a blank on why.  Perhaps he just doesn't do them.

You're going to have to travel - there are only about 5 surgeons in North America who we would recommend for RNY to DS - go to DSFacts.com.  Personally, Rabkin and Keshishian in CA would be the only ones I'm perfectly comfortable with.
teachmid
on 11/6/11 8:47 am - OKC, OK
I totally agree with Diana. Most of us had to travel.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MajorMom
on 11/6/11 9:45 am - VA
Dr Elariny does do RNY to DS revisions but he charges extra for doing the DS and for doing revisions. He isn't willing to accept insurance rates so there's a charge over what insurance covers. Not sure why he wouldn't be recommended otherwise. He explains all the pros, cons and options to the patient. The patient ultimately decides what type of revision. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 1:33 pm - San Jose, CA
Gina, I can't remember the last time I read about Elariny doing a revision, at least not an RNY to DS.  I know he is VERY expensive, including his program fees.  But I'd like to know whether he is at least an OPTION for those who can pay, and what he is like to deal with on such revisions (e.g., Greenbaum and Roslin seem to have criteria for what KIND of RNYs they'll revise to a DS, whereas Rabkin and Keshishian don't).
MajorMom
on 11/6/11 5:28 pm - VA
I'll send an email to his office manager and ask some questions. I've only met one of his RNY to DS revision patients (2008) but she has never been very active on OH. When he was answering questions one evening for a band to DS revision patient I was with, he talked about RNY to DS revisions and how he approaches them and it was consistent with how the person in 2008 described her appointment...complete with sketches of her 2 options.  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 11/6/11 9:47 am - Burlington County, NJ
Your closest MAYBE option is Dr. David Greenbaum in Willingboro, NJ. www.duodenalswitchdoc.com or www.southjerseybariatrics.com . He performs RNY to DS revisions on a case by case basis only. One of the criteria is how your pouch was formed in your RNY, whether or not it was transsected. You'll have to contact him for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 527 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 927 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 307 views