NY Duodenal Switch surgeons who accept medicaid

PerpetualFatty
on 2/22/12 12:08 pm - NY
DS on 06/27/12
I am having a very hard time finding a surgeon in NY who accepts medicaid. I called Dr.'s Pomp and Roslin, Greenbaum, all said no. Anybody know of a good one? Thanks

Today I am me, as I will be tomorrow, just an improved version.    
MajorMom
on 2/22/12 7:05 pm - VA
I thought you were going to stick with O'Malley but fight for your DS. If all he needs to hear is that you still want the DS and you've done your homework, etc....

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PerpetualFatty
on 2/24/12 12:47 am - NY
DS on 06/27/12
Hi Gina, I'm just checking out my options right now. I don't mind doing my homework, I've been researching the DS for over a year. But my preference would be to have a DS surgeon who is more experienced so I'l looking , but still going through the lengthy process at Dr. O'Malley's in the mean time. It's just nice to know whats out there. Thanks
walter A.
on 2/23/12 10:02 am - lafayette, NJ
do consider the after care cost of the DS,complications, vitamins, lab test, doctor visits and high protein diet requirements.  being a Medicaid recipient is a red flag,  review you capabilities for the long run,  
PerpetualFatty
on 2/24/12 12:56 am - NY
DS on 06/27/12
Since this is the 4th such reply I've gotten I am going to address this. AND since yours was the most respectfully written. There are MANY facets of medicaid. I'm not sure how NJ works but here in NY we have "managed care" plans. AND depending on the number of children you have and your income you may qualify. For example there is Family Health Plus, or Healthy NY. Program participants can make upwards of 50k and still qualify. It's for people who's employers do not offer health insurance or maybe they are self employed. MOST OF THESE PROGRAMS REQUIRE THE PARTICIPANT TO PAY IN TO THEM.  I've been researching the DS for over a year. I have been on several forums, and NEVER have I had the "pleasure" of being criticized for my type of insurance. SO in the future, Save your "red flags" for things like vitamin deficiancy, and chronic diarrhea. And before commenting out of ignorance, do your homework!!

Today I am me, as I will be tomorrow, just an improved version.    
walter A.
on 2/25/12 3:31 am - lafayette, NJ
dont fret over not having roslin or pomp as your surgeon, or dakin either, all three rejected doiing my DS,  over insurance issues, i have more insurance than three families need, but my surgery was too complex for them.  Check out Dr Anthone in Omaha
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/14 11:12 am

U r. Reply. OMG I. Wish. I. Knew. What u wrote. Before I Had The D's. I'm. Very sick from it very I. Can't afford. Food let along vitamins it ruined me. I. Now have nerve damage from. Irreversible vitamin problems. Please what I'm saying is true please. No. Bashes I have op sinful ventral hernias. No Dr. No. Nutritionist. And. Have no life I'm in pain. Bad pain disabled 13 years I. Had a better life fat. Now I. A so sick. I can't function thanks to the d's it has destroyed my mind my b I do and my spirit. Don't have this operation not enough. Dr's hard to get aftercare. Be weary. Anyone else suffering please. I need to know I'm not alone 

rbb825
on 2/26/12 5:12 pm - Suffern, NY
I  had a surgeon tell me that my Medicare wouldn't pay for my WLS because I wasn't 65 yet = he insisted that Medicare for disabled people worked different than for seniors.  I tried to tell him to call medicare and he would see that I had the same coverage - 80% by Medicare, 20% by Empire - my supplemental and then by chance anything wasn't covered, I also had medicaid which I am on a spenddown, so that I can afford prescriptions without a donuthole.  He was a great surgeon and did other surgeries on me but for some reason, he felt that WLS wouldnt' be covered because I wasn't a senior.  I Went to another great surgeon and didnt pay a penny.  Unfortunately he doesn't do the DS or I would recommend you to him

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/14 5:30 am

Hi. No one. Please. Write me at kat [email protected] I ha dc the d's 

Vicki PNW
on 4/12/14 7:10 am, edited 4/12/14 7:11 am

Need to post your inquiry in a new thread. This thread is very old.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 983 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views