9 Years ago today...

SharonG
on 3/6/12 5:07 am - Arlington, VA

I don't get  to this board often these days, and mostly lurk when I do.  But I still think it is important to occasionally check in so that people who are contemplating surgery or are not as far along post op know what it is like as they get further out. 

9 years ago today, I got switched.  It has been a ride!  And while it has occasionally been bumpy, I am still glad that I chose to have the DS.  Most days, I still am 10- 15 lbs from my lowest weight (maintaining about a 120 lb loss).  My labs are usually good, but I still have to monitor and adjust as I go along. 

I am still committed to taking vitamins and protein supplements, although I seem to be more satisfied when I get most of my protein from food these days.  Still get labs done regularly.  Still try to drink plenty of water and exercise.  Have things changed during the last 9 years?  Yes.  I can eat more.  My body absorbs fat and protein better.  It is a little harder to keep weight off now than it was in the first years.   

While my life did not become perfect after the DS, it has been so much better.  Just to be able to move and to be healthy has been a huge blessing.  I am posting a photo below that was taken last September.  I hiked 28 miles of the Inca Trail over 3 days to Machu Picchu - not something I ever would have been able to do without this life-saving and life-changing surgery.

For those of you contemplating the DS, do your homework.  Know what you are getting into.  For me, it was the absolute best option.   And I still believe the best surgical option out there. 

Best wishes,
Sharon

Jackie P.
on 3/6/12 5:50 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
Congratulations!!!! That is a huge milestone!

I am researching DS. Can you tell me why for you it was the best option? I am trying to decide if I should go DS or RNY... Would love to hear your opinion!

Congrats again!!
SharonG
on 3/6/12 8:31 pm - Arlington, VA
Thank you so much!

The DS was the best option for me because:

~ Hands down, it has the best statistical results of maintaining weight loss long term.  I was a yo-yo dieter and I wanted long term results.  The stats for long term weight loss for the DS is 85-90% EWL @ 5 years post op; for RNY it is 60%. 
~ The DS allows me to live a normal life.  I can eat normally, live normally. 
~ No dumping.   I know people who selected the RNY because they wanted dumping to keep them from eating sweets.  They never dumped.  Only a small percentage of people actually do.  Even if it is something they thought would help them, they may not get it. 
~ Commitment to vitamins and protein is a small price to pay for long term health.   

Hope this helps. 

Best wishes,
Sharon
smileyjamie72
on 3/12/12 3:24 am - Palmer, AK

RNY = no NSAIDS -- EVER!!!!!  No asprin, no ibuprofen, no naproxen.

DS, you can have Advil, Aleve.

I was not getting any younger & having that restriction was hard.  When I had a flare-up in my hip, I had to take 2 weeks off of work to get it healed up.  Since I drive for my job & my only option left was pain pills.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

fullhousemom
on 3/6/12 5:52 am
What a wonderful post! It is so nice to hear how people are doing so many years after their DS. Congratulations. You look wonderful and have obviously achieved much!
MajorMom
on 3/6/12 6:26 pm - VA
It was wonderful seeing you last night and celebrating your 9th surgiversary, Sharon. Many, many more wonderful surgiversary wishes coming your way. 

What a awesome fluke that Dr Elariny was coming out of the meeting when we were going in. He was looking mighty handsome, wasn't he....even without the ponytail. lol

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

SharonG
on 3/6/12 8:20 pm - Arlington, VA
Thank you so much, Gina!  I can't think of a better way to celebrate!  It was great to see you and the rest of the gang. 

Yes, he is still cute, even without the ponytail :-)

Sharon
Jackie P.
on 3/6/12 10:29 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
Thank you Sharon! I may send you a message to ask a few questions!!!
Renee2007
on 3/7/12 10:27 pm - Central, FL
 Awesome, Sharon! Congrats on 9 years!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

SharonG
on 3/8/12 4:51 am - Arlington, VA
Thank you, Renee! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?