Approved! Yikes! Nervous energy....help me focus it!

msladykris
on 12/11/14 7:44 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15

Hi everyone!

Little background about me: Have had horrible menstrual cycles (super heavy bleeding) for the past five or so years, and have iron-deficient anemia and low hemoglobin. Add to that chemo for lupus.  Just recently had an emergency hysterectomy on 11/19 because I bled nonstop for 2 1/2 months. After surgery my hemoglobin is 7.7.  (Currently having iron infusions to help get that # up). Up until this point my life revolved around getting WLS but this hysterectomy has put a wrench in my plans .

I was approved for WLS through insurance on 12/05. Yay!! Preop testing is on 12/19 but I cannot have the surgery until I'm healed from the hysterectomy.  Very nervous that for some strange reason, I won't be able to have it. Either my hemoglobin is too low, or my surgeon (Dr. Inman) will be skeptical to do it so close to another surgery. Gyn thinks I should wait at least 6 weeks before having it. Does anyone have and opinion about this? Should I have it right after the six weeks or should I wait quite a bit longer? My next date option will be spring break would be March 23 (I'd have help during spring break) but I'm kind of scared to wait that long.  What if something happens in the meantime? I know i'm a hot mess with all this! See! That nervous energy! LOL! Any input anyone can give me would be great. Help a sistah out!

airbender
on 12/11/14 7:56 am

congrats on surgery approval.  you have been through an ordeal, and hopefully with the chemo you are ok now.  sorry you had to have a hysterectomy.  For heavens sake why didnt they give you 2-3 units of packed RBCs?  I would not have surgery now and I would be shocked if anyone would operate on you now.  You need to get you H&H up and recover from your hysterectomy.  Spring break sounds perfect, and you will have help even better.  dont be scared, rest up after  your surgery, get everything ready do all your pre op stuff out of the way, then have blood work retested to make sure you are ok then surgery in march, it is only 3 months away. 

msladykris
on 12/13/14 6:10 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On December 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, airbender wrote:

congrats on surgery approval.  you have been through an ordeal, and hopefully with the chemo you are ok now.  sorry you had to have a hysterectomy.  For heavens sake why didnt they give you 2-3 units of packed RBCs?  I would not have surgery now and I would be shocked if anyone would operate on you now.  You need to get you H&H up and recover from your hysterectomy.  Spring break sounds perfect, and you will have help even better.  dont be scared, rest up after  your surgery, get everything ready do all your pre op stuff out of the way, then have blood work retested to make sure you are ok then surgery in march, it is only 3 months away. 

Thanks Airbender,

I didn't get RBCs because I don't accept Blood transfusions. You're right! I need to slow my role and get better it should go fast, I hope! Thanks for the input!

Star0210
on 12/11/14 11:42 am
DS on 11/28/14

I had a 6 hour iron infusion after my hysterectomy. My hemoglobin was at like 6. My total iron was 9, my ferritin was 4, and my iron sat was 2. 

A few weeks later all my levels were good and I was like a whole new person...no longer a walking dead person. That's what I felt like!

i think if I were you, I'd wait until spring break. Get all healed up from this surgery before tackling another major surgery. 

Sorry you had to go through that...but congrats on the approval!

msladykris
on 12/13/14 6:12 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On December 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM Pacific Time, Star0210 wrote:

I had a 6 hour iron infusion after my hysterectomy. My hemoglobin was at like 6. My total iron was 9, my ferritin was 4, and my iron sat was 2. 

A few weeks later all my levels were good and I was like a whole new person...no longer a walking dead person. That's what I felt like!

i think if I were you, I'd wait until spring break. Get all healed up from this surgery before tackling another major surgery. 

Sorry you had to go through that...but congrats on the approval!

Wow! A six? That's crazy! Thanks for your input I think I will be waiting.

larra
on 12/11/14 12:50 pm - bay area, CA

An emergency hysterectomy is major surgery, and you went into it after months of struggle besides. Your anemia should resolve now that you no longer have that unhealthy uterus to contend with, but you do need time to heal.

Right now spring break must seem like miles away, but really, it will be here before you know it. It doesn't make sense to have major elective surgery when you're not at your best.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 560 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 949 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 324 views