need help with vitamins asap

alishak
on 2/18/16 8:27 pm

My dr. Gave me a vague list of vitamins. I guess i could buy them at his office or, at grocery store. 

Ill give u the exact list he gave me.

UpCal D, easy to mix powder 1000mg 3x a day(domt know what this is) Or,

Twinlab calcium citrate 1000mg 3x a day

Then

Biotics aqueous multi plus 1tbs 2x a day, or

Multivitamins twinlab allergy multi caps 1 tab x2 a day, with iron

Then

Vitamin D bio d mulsion forte 3 drops x3 a day

Vitamin A bio ae mulsion forte 1 drop x3 a day

And then says

For nausea or vomiting take thiamine (b1) 50-100mg per day

And then lastly a protien supplement minimum 50 grams per day. ( does that mean protien powder?)

Then later on on the page is just a paragragh that says. Restrictive procedure requires multi vites 1 or 2 times a day. Vitamin B group in the form of b complex or mega b. If patient is over 40 or obese should take vitamin D as well. For malabsorptive component take more such as calcium, ds patients take fat soluble bitamin A, D, E, and sometimes K. Other intake includes calcium, multivites and sometimes iron.

So now im totaly confised. Im low income and need to be able to get affordable vitamins every month like 20 and under for everything. And i dont even know how much i need exactly, like the dosage of each. So any advice would be good. Should i just get the stuff at his office. Idk how much that is. 

lisad1180
on 2/18/16 11:21 pm
DS on 12/04/15

You can get all of the vitamins you need at the drugstore. If you live near a Rite Aid you can generally get them on sale. I'm not a doctor,  so I can't prescribe anything,  but this is what I take.

I take the following:

In the morning take 1 Flintstones Complete chewable vitamin, vitamin b12, I take Metamucil as well, but you don't necessarily have to do that. 

At lunch time and again at dinner, take one pill of Hair, Skin, and Nails" supplement, matamucil, and 2 500mg viactiv calcium chews with Vitamin D.

At bedtime take one Flintstone's complete chewable vitamin, one "Hair, Skin, and Nails" supplement, and a probiotic

If I am low on protein,  I'll  have a protein shake sometime during the day. 

I also take prescriptions that have nothing to do with surgery so I didn't include them here.  My regimen gives me all the vitamins and minerals I need.

I would encourage you to call your doctor's office and ask them for a simple list and some suggestions on how and when to take the vitamins. Good luck!

Lisa

5'6" -- HW 280 / SW 272 / GW 160

chevtow41
on 2/19/16 3:41 pm
DS on 11/11/14

If you had the DS your vitamin regimen is going to KILL you. Seriously what you take is so far from enough, that its scary.

lisad1180
on 2/19/16 4:12 pm
DS on 12/04/15

Funny, my blood work is perfect so I think I'm doing just fine. 

Lisa

chevtow41
on 2/19/16 4:19 pm
DS on 11/11/14

You had surgery 2 months ago!! Your body is living off its  vitamin stores. You don't have to believe me, that's fine. I was just trying to help. Good luck

lisad1180
on 2/19/16 4:32 pm
DS on 12/04/15

Thanks for your concern, but I will stick with my above regimen that my surgeon prescribed for me, especially since he's done DS for a long time and hasn't had problems with this regimen.  My multi vitamins contain all of the vitamins and minerals that are recommended, including iron and copper and then some,  plus my b12, calcium,  and biotin supplements make for a well rounded regimen no matter where you look.  Next time if you want to be helpful you night want to try a less agressive/less antagonistic/less know it all approach.

I'm done with this conversation. 

Lisa

lisad1180
on 2/19/16 4:38 pm
DS on 12/04/15
chevtow41
on 2/19/16 3:46 pm
DS on 11/11/14

What surgery did you have? Makes a difference. You should be tested and adjust vitamins to your results. I'm not sure if you can get what you need for $20/month. Really depends on your tests. 

As for DS you don't want fat soluble vitamins or you'll **** them all out. You need dry vitamins. Biotech A and D are popular and one of the few. Just a multi is not even close to enough.

alishak
on 2/19/16 4:09 pm

Im having my surgery on tuesday next week.  If i cant get vitamins for that cheap per month then i definatly cant get the surgery.  But step sister takes two diff multi vitamins one that has extra vit a and d, vitamin d3 5000iu, calcium citrate and vitamin b complex.  I asked the dr if the vitamins were too expensive for me and he said no cuz i can buy them for 3 month supply. 

PattyL
on 2/19/16 5:20 pm

This is for the rest of you...

Don't ever think that you will do OK just taking a couple Flintstones.  I have no idea who this woman's surgeon is but assuming she had the DS, his/her vitamin advice could be construed to be malpractice.  Sure she is just fine right now but down the road she will be in big trouble.

For the OP check out vitalady list for DSers.  I don't think the vites you describe will be OK long term either.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 436 views