Lost 180 lbs in 8 months 7 years ago. Gained half of it back. Trying something new

Vickie
on 6/23/13 3:24 am - Wilmington, NC

Hi all, 

I just want to get some feedback and have some accountability. I had my RNY in April 2006. I lost 180 lbs in the next 8 months. My starting weight was 483. Slowly but surely, I've gained back half the weight  I lost. I also ended up with some pretty significant nutritional deficiencies. These made it difficult to move around and even be able to function normally let alone lose any weight. Going to the Dr. is a joke. Even my hematologist doesn't really "get" RNY and the effects that it has on the body. My husband and I desperately want to have another child. Nutritional deficiencies are messing that up as well. I have a friend who told me about a product she used. It is called Shakeology. It is like nutrient overkill. I wouldn't say its a protein shake but it does have protein in it. But that hasn't really been my problem. I NEED NUTRIENTS.  So I'm going to try it out for 30 days and let you all know how it goes. If I lose some weight that would be great but I know I need to supercharge my nutrition to get the scale moving in the right direction.  I need your support. Most others don't know the shame I feel and the pain I go through.  Thanks in advance. 

N. H.
on 6/23/13 3:36 am, edited 6/23/13 10:33 am
Hi... Do u mind sharing your email address with me. I have a very similar story and was so relieved to see your post. the struggle is real! Nikki
chrispy_man
on 6/25/13 3:30 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
IMI shakes do not sound like an answer. Id point you towards a nut to go over your meal plan and cater it to your needs.

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

Vickie
on 7/7/13 6:54 pm - Wilmington, NC

Actually, the nutritionist recommended this particular set of shakes due to my nutritional deficiencies. 

chrispy_man
on 7/7/13 10:08 pm - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Very good call working with your NUT. The reason I take the oosition on shakes that I do is that they are basically sliders. IF that becomes the focus you can lose the saitey feelling which comes from eating. For some this can result in eating too much stalling loss or causing gain.
Good luck in your journey!

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

PixieButterfly2005
on 6/29/13 9:35 pm - Eugene, OR

I had my RNY in May 2004 (310 pounds), originally lost all the way down to 167 (total highest weight prior to the Gastric Bypass was 375 in Summer of 2003). Had a few good years then a slow steady weight gain of about 20 pounds here and there, until October 2009 when I was diagnosed with a Neurological condition that was shutting down my endocrine system and I was back up to 270 pounds.  I thought seriously about a RNY revision, but could not find a doctor who would even agree to see me. My surgeon had retired, did not have a good reputation in our area, so no one was willing to follow up on his patients. I struggled and got off 35 pounds, then went through two major personal tragedies, then had a total hysterectomy and gained back 15. January of 2013 I found myself at 257, not sleeping, having 7-9 episodes of hypoglycemia a day during waking hours, horrid restless leg syndrome.... A friend had recently lost 87 pounds and I wanted to know how... Long story short I began her program, with her as my Health Coach, I am now down 60 pounds, I am 17 pounds from the goal my doctor wants me at in order to have a tummy tuck to remove the tons of excess skin. I feel great, I am sleeping, I have tons of energy, I have not had a single hypoglycemic episode since 24 hours into the program. I truly feel this program has given my pouch the rebirth it needed. The program works so well with the RYN's small pouch. It is the right ratio of protein to carbs... I recently had all my labs done and for the first time they are normal!!

375/169/238/225.2/170 (Starting/lowest/regain wt/current/goal) I WILL SUCCEED!!_

Johari22
on 7/2/13 12:12 am - San Antonio, TX

Wow! Pixie that is awesome! Congrats on not giving up!  I'm 2 yrs out and stuck too!  I need some help and have recently started woggling again.  I added in weight training to see how it goes.  I probably need to go see my nut as well.  I had an appointment and blood work done, but cancelled the appt. as I feel as nothing is working...sighs.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
A negative mind will never give you a POSITIVE result!
5' 8"
HW 292, SW 280, CW 270.0

Heather M.
on 7/9/13 6:41 am - MI

Pixie,

I'm curious... what was your friend's program that you started following to loose the 60 pounds?

PRETTE84
on 7/19/13 11:25 am - ROSEDALE, NY
I'm having trouble losing weight with my RNY, what was ur friend health program that she used to lose 80lbs
Baseball-Mom
on 7/25/13 12:59 am - Pittsburgh, PA

Would you share the program that you followed? I am up 20 lbs and getting VERY nervous about it. I hand to have my thyroid removed 12/12 I am almost 6 years post op. I know I am overeating so I need something written down to follow so it's right there in front of me.

Spring Text  

Most Active