RNY to DS revision

janetlivingston
on 5/8/04 12:47 pm - Chicago, IL
I am having one in June. Has anyone else had this done. How did you do? Please reply. :fairy
Debbie H.
on 6/19/04 2:46 am - Redding, CA
Janet just wondering why you need a revision..... I wanted the DS....but insurance would only pay for RNY......Thankyou Always Debbie
Kilaani
on 1/4/05 12:24 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I'd also like to hear more of why you need the revision and more about the DS - are you talking the BPD-DS? Where are you getting it done? Here's what I found on obesitylawyer.com, and I'm wondering about long term results... Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD-DS) is an operation which provides one of the greatest maintained weight losses of any bariatric procedure. It decreases food absorption and particularly that of fat. It preserves normal eating habits and is compatible with a good quality of life. Because weight loss is not a function of an imposed aversion to eating, it is more appealing to patients. BPD-DS is efficient in producing appropriate permanent weight loss and has a considerable psychological advantage because it does not always impose abnormal food restriction. It not only decreases caloric absorption, but it also directly improves insulin and lipid metabolism. Data are accumulating showing that BPD can permanently cure morbid obesity in a majority of patients and is remarkably well tolerated. A study conducted by Baltasar et al showed that in patients treated with duodenal switch, the percentage of excess weight loss was greater than 70% at 1 year, and reached 81.4% at 5 years when 97% of the patients had an excess weight loss of greater than 50%. Comorbidities were cured or improved in all patients. This study concluded that duodenal switch was very effective for the treatment of morbid obesity. In addition to dramatic and permanent weight loss, studies have shown that duodenal switch in morbidly obese patients with different comorbidities leads to improvement of diabetes by correcting carbohydrate handling with no need for insulin or other hypoglycemic agents, and corrects severe hypercholesterolemia.
Theresa W.
on 8/21/09 5:00 am - Northern Lower, MI
I know this is an old post, but am wondering how you did with your revision from RNY to DS?  I am seriously thinking about it.  Please write me back if you would.  THANKS!!

Most Active