Savella, anyone?

JazzyOne9254
on 3/3/12 9:43 am
I had been taking Cymbalta for years to treat fibro pain, first prescribed off-label until the FDA approved it for fibro  and diabetic neuropathy pain.

Last month, my doc titrated me onto a new fibro drug called Savella, which, is specifically for treating fibromyalgia, but works on the same brain chemistry as Cymbalta, which was first marketed as an anti-depressant.

The little book that comes with the "titration pack" states repeatedly that Savella is not approved to treat depression, even though it works just like an anti-depressant.

Anyone using Savella?  Thoughts?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

loretta cowels
on 3/4/12 3:04 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
I used savella for a little while to a while to work but i noticed a diffrence in my pain. I dont take it now because its exspense and at the time i didnt have good coverage and having to rely on the doctor haveing samples scared me. If I remember right it dont have the side effect of gain weight but not sure. I have took lyricia and cymbalta the lyricia made me gain alot of weight and the problem with cymbalta is after being on it for long peiords it stops working. Id give savella a chance takes a while to kick in but it did help. For me i have to try to not read all the stuff because the side effects list always scare the crap out of me . I do beleave you have to change these meds every so often because they quit working well after long periods. But this is my opinion. My doctor agrees but he just is going by my pain levels been on neortin for two years dont think it is working very well but if i stop it a few days later im in more pain so its doing something Loretta
Hislady
on 3/4/12 8:26 am - Vancouver, WA
I haven't tried it but have been thinking of it because my cymbalta just doesn't seem to be doing much anymore. Let us know if it works for you, I know some of these meds you have to take for awhile before they kick in.
bon
on 3/5/12 1:57 am - Enterprise, AL
 I have been on Savella for probably 9 months or so. Savella has the same properties as an antidepressant (it has Serotonin in it). It is not listed as an antidepressant though. I suspect it isnt because if they do list it as an antidepressant, then they have to do more case studies & the numbers would change, also they kinda have a corner on the market listing it as a Fibro drug, since all the other Fibro meds are "technically" made for other ailments/diseases/conditions. When they put you on Savella, typically they titrate your dosage up & if you are on an antidepressant, they titrate you down. The reason for this is due to the Serotonin. If your body gets too much, you can get Serotonin Syndrome & I can tell you from experience SS is NO joke! I cannot take ANY antidressants or any other drug with Serotonin. My Psychiatrist had tried a low dosage of antidepressants because my Rhematologist insisted & I had a nasty case of the SS, so now he has me on another med that helps but is not an antidressant. I have trouble getting people & some Doctors to understand that the pain is NOT due to depression, the depression is due to the pain! 

Savella does have some pretty intense side effects. I researched it before I started it & read ALOT of forums about it. A lot of people stop it because of the Side effects, but those that tough it out, have good results. To be honest, I had severe nausea & a blinding headache for almost 4 months. I am allergic to almost 50 meds, so I am limited on what I can take. I lived on Zofran! I decided to tough it out. I had been on Lyrica before, but it did nothing for me, but when I went back to my Rheumatologist
Put me on it again, it immediately made the nausea stop! The headache lasted a good 4 months, then gradually went away. The Savella has made a remarkable difference in my pain. Do I still hurt? Yes, but most of the pain I have now is because of another issue, not the FMS itself. Clear as mud? Haha! Sorry, my brain is no longer my friend & sometimes words fail me, describing things to people is not my forte! At least  when I write (type!) it, I can pause & think till I find a word that fits. In person, yeahhhhh....not so much! Sometimes I sound like a babbling idiot.... So embarrassing! 

I will also add that I had also tried Cymbalta before & it did nothing for me. IMHO Savella is worth a try, but do your homework & research it, familiarize yourself with the benefits VS the side effects & then make your decision on whether or not to stick with the med. 

Hope this helps.Good luck, 
Bonnie

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
Marilyn Monroe
JazzyOne9254
on 3/10/12 6:11 am

Other than a pretty bad bout of depression during the switch, I have had no side effects from Savella.

It's a little hard to remember to take two pills (morning, bedtime) right now, since I was so used to taking one per day.  For me the cost is the same as Cymbalta, and it seems to work the same, so I'll stick with it.

Thanks for your reply! 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

dianeg49
on 3/16/12 2:40 pm
Bonnie,
I loved the part in your post about the babbling and trying to find the words that fit. Ha, that is my problem most of the time. I get really bad if I am put on the spot to answer questions, my brain just freezes.
It sure is frustrating! I had a professional job that I had to give up because the fog was just to thick.
It is soo nice to listen to someone else explain exactly what you have been feeling. Someone without fibro would never get this.
Thanks,
Diane
Dianeg49            
bon
on 4/27/12 2:54 am - Enterprise, AL
 Dianne,

Totally understand! I almost want to get a ***disclaimer*** t-shirt, something along the lines of...

"I do not have brain damage, ride the "short bus" or smoke crack, I am just having a bad brain day!"

On the back...

"if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!"

Somedays I feel like I have a chunk of Swiss cheese for a brain with a herd of meeces approaching! On a serious note, I live in a different State than my family & most of my friends. I have to admit, I have ceased contact with a large percentage of my extended family & friends, due to my mental changes. I have not been open about having Fibro just because of the stigma associated with it. I am embarrassed for people who knew the "old me" to see the way I am now. You can camouflage the pain & discomfit, but the mental changes can't be hidden away. 

I am glad that my words helped someone else cause Lord knows they don't help me! Lol. I read on another post here about the "Spoon Theory", if you haven't read it, look it up, it's a must read!

Bonnie

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
Marilyn Monroe
thorpea1976
on 4/26/12 11:15 am - sioux city, IA
 I have been on savella for about 7mos now and it has helped with the pain and makes it so i can fuction to a point. I still have flares and they are bad but not as long as they used to be they used to last weeks and now may last a few days to a week not so intense.
 i was lyrica and it helped for awhile then stopped working along with me gaining wieght and when you have had WLS and eating your amounts your supposed to very hard to see the scale move upward.

i am on an anti depressent as well so dr watches my labs very carefully. I advise anyone who has trouble with fibro meds to consider savella it is VERY EXPENSIVE but works I have had no one tell me it didn't work I am sure it don't work on everyone.

make sure your dr works with you..if they don't listen or rush you out of thier office or exam room time to find a new dr. mine thankfully takes all the time needed to find a solution and all of her patients agree sometimes the wait others have to endure is worth it cause we know that patient needed that time as we did.
Most Active
Recent Topics