Fibromyalgia and WLS

TawnyaWebb
on 4/4/12 4:04 am - Spokane, WA
RNY on 08/07/12
 I am considering WLS here in the near future and I understand that it will not change any of my fibromyalgia symptoms. But has it helped anyone else with other symptoms they have such as sleep apnea and such? And the other thing I am worried about is a longer healing time, when I had an arthoscope done on my knee it seemed to take longer to heal, have of any of you notice longer healing periods?

Thanks,
Tawnya
Hislady
on 4/4/12 11:43 am - Vancouver, WA
From my years here reading about others the surgery does indeed help or improve  apnea and many other issues caused by obesity so that will be a bonus. Myself I've never noticed it taking a longer time to heal but I've always been a quick and easy healer. Others may have a different story. Wish you well on your surgery.
dianeg49
on 4/6/12 3:03 pm
I felt like my recovery was pretty quick. I have noticed that I am having less sleep apnea problems. I still use my cpap but I did get it turned down.
Dianeg49            
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/11/12 2:15 am
You may want to stay away from RNY - since we are not suppose to take ant NSAIDS for pain post op due to increase chances of ulcers. Check sleeve (VSG)  or DS... (I heard horror stories about lap bands - so I would suggest you do not get that - it is a mechanical device that has a very high failure - and complication rate)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

TawnyaWebb
on 4/11/12 4:02 am - Spokane, WA
RNY on 08/07/12
 Thanks for the reply. I am already basically off the NSAIDS because I take Cymbalta. I am scared of the healing taking longer because even when I got my knee scoped and bi-lateral relase done in 2010 that seems like it took longer to heal because of the fibro, or who knows maybe my body was just in complete flare that whole time :(
pqqkieturner
on 4/30/12 12:28 pm - MI
First let me say, that EVERYONE if different. Before surgery I was only taking 1/2 a pain pill (750 mg vicodine) at bed time, and going to the gym 3 days a week.
I have RA and Fibro. I was taking Enbrel for 8 yrs.(I developed a bone tumor from long turn use of the enbrel, and had to have my S3,4,5 and tailbone removed, so can NO longer Ever take any TNF inhibitor)  I went off the Enbrel 1 month prior to surgery, because of the infection complications side effects.  On 4-28-09 I had RNY surgery. on 5-13-09 til 5-31-09 I was in the hospital with a severe infection that almost killed me. and then went home with a antibotic IV drip every 6 hrs for 3 months... The weight loss had been GREAT.! But am soo scared to have the plastic surgery done now, due to infections.
 BUT WHAT THEY DON'T TELL U--- after the weight loss surgery (start 292, got down to 147) the RA and the FIBRO do NOT get better. Actually the RA is worse, because you don't have the fatty tissue in the joints anymore. And the FIBRO hurts more because of the muscle mass loss. I have had to up my pain meds,(1000 mg vicodine, and 150 Lyrica). They have even resorted to putting me on Rituxen, which is a form of Chemotherapy for pain. And it isn't working. The only think that would help, and it is killing me to do it, is gaining weight. If that doesn't make you sick. Kinda a irony. Have weight loss, to save my life, then almost die. Then lose the weight, but live in massive pain, unless you gain back some of the weight. LOL have to laugh to keep from crying. LOL  Now I am back up to 200. The pain is a little better, but I won't put on any more. this much is making me sick........ Also, another thing they are now realizing.  That with the weight on, you have large pockets of fatty tissue on the pelvic floor. (which is the muscle that holds the bladder up, the uteras and anus in place) and when you lose the weight, the bladder falls, the uteras prolaps, and the colon enlarges.  I just wanted to let you know exactly what I have been thru.  I have been asked if I would go thru it all again, and I have to honestly say, I don't think I would have. I would have kept up the working out in the pool, and cardio.  Now I am unable to go to the gym, because of the muscle loss, I have already torn my rotor cuff. And because of the bone loss, I have bone fractures that make working out very painful. The only thing I can do is swimming... And now that I have HAD to gain some weight back, I am very sick to my stomach with all of it....Sorry if this isn't want you wanted to hear, but just thought that you should have both sides. Everyone always trys to make the surgery look good, which for most it is. I am one of the bad results. But keep in mind also, that they are getting better and better with all of it.!! Good luck,

Sassy1724
on 4/22/12 8:17 am
 I have had CFS and Fibromyalgia for over 25 years. I had WLS July 2010 and my pain and symptoms have reduced by at leaset 60%. I had to take a half a day off 2 years ago to go to the WLS seminar and just 2 months ago traveled from RI to Colorado to visit a friend for a long weekend, came home at midnight on a Tuesday and was at work on Wednesday morning. I will be 62 years old in September and I have a life I never thought I'd have! Miracles do happen! ;)

Purplekat78
on 4/23/12 3:33 am - Winston-Salem, NC
I am having VSG in May 2012. I also have Fibromyalgia. I haven't  been able to take any of the recomended pain meds., so I am counting on the surgery and subsequent weight loss helping with the pain. My bones and joints can use use the break from carring around 71 extra lds. I hope it helps both of us. Keep  me posted and lets compare notes.

Mary K. Smith

mrsnate
on 5/9/12 10:04 am
VSG on 04/27/12 with
I just had VSG 11 days ago, so I'm too early out to tell, but I've been dealing with CFS/Fibro for 20 years and I'm REALLY hoping for an improvement. Recovery has been similar to most people's, though I can tell you my body is very achy, especially my legs. Maybe that's just me. Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/12 7:19 am
I am so excited about this mineral bag that I have been using in my drinking water and have had no pain in months!!! If you would like some samples sent to you email me at [email protected] with your mailing information.  It's time to LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST...not in pain! :))
Most Active
Recent Topics