New to this forum & exercise

Jennifer R.
on 3/27/11 6:50 am - Fullerton, CA
Hi all,

I'm about a year and a half post lap-band surgery and I've lost 69 pounds. I lost the first 60 in the first 6-8 months and then it stopped. I don't blame the band...I blame me. So, last Sunday, I joined the local Gold's gym and began with a trainer on Wednesday. I'm still above 300 lbs and have little endurance but I already feel stronger after just two sessions (although it was hard to walk and sit for the first 4 days). I love my trainer and he seems to be really in tune with giving me plenty of rest periods but still pushing me.

My questions...

I'm training Monday, Wed, Fri with my trainer and then doing "light cardio" Tues and Thurs. He told me to take the weekend off. For me, light cardio is treadmill because that's really all I can do right now. Does this sound about right??

I'm concerned about injuries because I still have so much to lose. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent injuries??

I'm super excited and motivated about this new phase of my journey but I'm so full of anxiety about it because I have never really done anything like this. I'm trying not to overthink it and I know I just need to face my fear or nothing will change. Any thoughts or advice are welcomed!! Thanks :)
Jennifer

Courage is not always a lion's roar. Sometimes, it is a small voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Diet Plans

"When you change the way you see things, the things you see will change."

superconducting
on 3/27/11 7:22 am - Montgomery, NY
 sounds like you are on the right track.  Lots of stretching and don't be in too much of a rush to increase volume.. but don't slouch either :)  A lot of folks here like to set goals like a race to train towards... Maybe shoot for a 5k, evenif its mostly walking - it makes the workouts more purposeful for a lot of us.  

And post on the daily workout thread.. it becomes a habit and keeps you accountable in a way!

Welcome!

mcarthur01
on 3/27/11 10:17 am - Cumming, GA
welcome!  best way to avoid overuse injuries is to start slow and increase your effort/distance/intensity slowly over time.  keep posting in our daily exercise threads like andrew said.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Kim S.
on 3/28/11 2:18 am - Helena, AL
I was 324 lbs when I first started exercising regularly.  My husband pushed me to start 6 months before I had my surgery.  I had the same concerns as you.

I commend you for making exercise an important part of your life.  I believe it truly is the key to long term weight maintenance.

Start out slow, but you also have to push a little.  Make sure you warm up good before you start.  Shin splints just about killed me in the early days and I learned the hard way about the importance of stretching!  If you feel pain, stop what you are doing.  Do not try to push past pain.  Walk it off, try again and if you still feel it (I mean joint pain, not normal muscle soreness!) stop that move for the day.  As long as you are healthy and don't have injuries/joint issues, the actual amount you weigh should not hold you back (make sure the equipment you use supports your weight).

It is important to mix cardio with weight training, and throw in some good stretching routines like yoga.  Also, concentrate on developing your core (which is your entire middle from your armpits to your hips).  Everything is supported by your core.  The better shape it is in the more likely you will be to have good form in everything else you do.

I have been where you were.  There is hope--you can become a fit, healthy individual.  I am living proof of it.  I workout 5-6 times a week now--I run, I hike and do P90X....which is pretty hard core.  If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Kim

Jennifer R.
on 3/28/11 3:36 am - Fullerton, CA
Thanks Kim...it helps to know that there are others out there who know what I'm going through. This morning my trainer had me doing squats for days and then pull-ups. When he said pull-ups I thought "are you serious???" but I did three sets! He's definitely pushing me and can already see improvement just in my recovery and not having to sit in between sets. He stretches me out good which is the payoff!

I'll PM you with some questions...Thanks!
Jennifer

Courage is not always a lion's roar. Sometimes, it is a small voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Paul C.
on 3/28/11 4:27 am - Cumming, GA
Welcome. Like usual everyone here has given you some sound advice, the same advice that got me going to the gym.  For you treadmill make sure you have good shoes or better yet the right shoes.  I would go to a local running store and get fitted, not foot locker or some plaace like that. A good running store will analyze your stride and recommend a number of shoes and let you find the most comfortable.  Walking or running is much less painful with the right shoes.  Stationary bike is also a great way to get in some cardio with little to no impact.

Remember to post to the daily workout forum.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Jennifer R.
on 3/28/11 4:34 am - Fullerton, CA
Thanks Paul...I've been thinking about doing the shoe thing...the price will be daunting but I think it's worth it. I started posting in the forum today :)
Jennifer

Paul C.
on 3/28/11 4:45 am - Cumming, GA
I paid the same for my shoes at a running store that Dick's sells them for.

an extra $20 for good shoes beats the down time from an injury or aome doctor copays for an injury.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active