Cycling to work?

Lowcountry
on 4/17/12 9:52 pm - Lady's Island, SC
I haven't rode a bike in many, many, many years.  I'm considering commuting to work (10.5 miles one way) via a bike. I have a ton of questions;
1. Is there a program to build up to riding 21 miles a day?
2. Bicycle suggestions?  I'm leaning toward a Hybrid.
3. Minimum equipment to get started?
4. Is my goal to lofty?

I'm fortunate to have access to a locker room with showers and lockers so that isn't an issue.
Thanks.

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

acbbrown
on 4/18/12 1:30 am - Granada Hills, CA
I dont know if there are any programs, but I started spinning for about 6 weeks I think before I got on a bike, and 10 miles was pretty easy (10 FLAT miles anyways) to start off with by that point. Twice a day shouldn't be a problem unless you have any major hills.

You'll need a helmet, lock, water bottle, spare tube,tools (unless you're going to call AAA if you get a flat :)) Comfortable clothes wouldn't hurt.

I think it's a great goal - I wish I could ride to work (but Id have to go 30 miles through the mountains with no lockers lol).

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Lowcountry
on 4/18/12 1:33 am - Lady's Island, SC
Luckily I live in a very very flat area. The only hills I will have to battle is over a couple of bridges.

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

Sue M.
on 4/18/12 1:34 am, edited 4/18/12 1:35 am - Nantucket, MA
Depends on your current fitness level.

I didn't have trouble riding 10 miles the first time I tried, but I was at a good place with running (and hadn't been on a bike 20+ years)

I just bought a hybrid. It's a good comfy bike for mostly road/bike path casual riding. It's a Trek FX.

I now have a bike and a helmet. I would think a commute that long would require water bottle holder, and probably a small repair kit. Also, reflective gear for safety. And also bike shorts to pad your bum. :)

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/18/12 6:26 am
I used to commute to work a lot, but haven't been able to this year as I lost access to a shower- so lucky you!

1. Here's a program, ride as far as you can go, then the next time increase it by 5% or 10%, you will be at your goal in no time. It's what I did, and my commute was 20miles each way with hills!

2. I'm a road bike gal all the way, I think hybrids are too heavy, but I know LOTS of folks like them. I think you really have to try a few things out and see what you feel most comfortable on. Find a great local bike shop who you can take it back to for adjustments and tune-ups.

3. Everyone's listed the important stuff, but a bright front white light, and a flashing red rear light and the more reflective gear the better! Cars aren't looking for you, and you want to be as visible as possible so you don't get hit. The more lights and reflectors you've got- the better!

4. You're goal is very reasonable, maybe you should set a lofty one like a 65 or 100 mile ride with a local bike club?

Best of Luck,

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Scaura
on 4/18/12 6:26 am - Fort Collins, CO
 I am looking forward to reading advice on this because I am wanting to do the same thing by mid-summer.  I live in a city that is CRAZY about bicycles and has tons of bike trails and paved paths.  My commute will be about 7 miles each way.  Next week I am shipping an Electra Townie 7d (Matte Sage) from my parents house to mine on Amtrak Express.  Super cheap way to ship bikes.  This bike is so comfortable to ride and really fun.  It is upright which I prefer.  Not a big fan of the mountain bikes at this size in my life.

Fort Collins is also very flat so building up to my 14 miles a day is going to be super easy.  My husband has been riding about 6 months and does a hard ride of 16 miles and it took him about 2 months to build up to that.  Being from Atlanta, one factor you will have to consider that I don't is the humidity.  I have altitude, but I am used to that now.  Once I start riding to work, I will have a holder for my water bottle, saddle bags for my laptop and purse, head and tail lights, reflectors, a cell phone pouch on the handle bars, quality U-lock, and a repair kit with extra tube and pump.  You don't want a ton of weight because it makes for a harder ride.

I would suggest getting a quality bike.  They last longer and are well worth the money.  You really do get what you pay for in a bike.  Go to a local bike shop and ride as many as you can!  Have fun!

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

LJ1972
on 4/18/12 7:11 am - FL
Interesting read as I consider doing this myself. It is just around 4 miles to my work, but on a very busy road with one monster hill. Plus, I wor****il midnight. The safety issues of idiot drivers are my only real concern.
Sue M.
on 4/18/12 10:50 pm - Nantucket, MA
 i reported him/her/it.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
cabin111
on 4/18/12 9:08 am
I have done the bike to work many times, but I do the bike and bus thing.  I ride about 2 miles...Take the bus 10 miles, then ride another 1 mile to work.  Do my shift then back I go.  I'll go ahead and rattle off a ton of things in no special order as ideas.
Be sure you can handle the work load...you could be really tired at the end of the day.  Always have backup plans if the bike breaks down or if you have to stay late...People picking you up after dark.  I carry a backpack with me.  In it I keep water, dry fruits, nuts and a protein bar, bandages and band aids, cell phone, Tupperware for food, old drivers license, ink pen and paper, reading material, reading glasses, antacids, Imodium A D tablets, Splenda, $5-10. in cash. Predrive your route to see what you need to avoid...Dogs...People with guns, safety hazards.  Are you use to riding in traffic...Assume no one sees you!!  Watch for cars pulling out and for doors opening...Drive defensively. Buy a good lock.  Have an extra change of clothing at work.  Wear a helmet... 
You will also need to layer your clothing...What is cold in the morning, turns hot in the late afternoon.  Make sure your boss knows about your riding...In case you're late...You've already explained yourself.  Add more reflecting on the bike to be seen on the road.  Wear a hat.  Enjoy the ride!! 
Lowcountry
on 4/18/12 9:08 pm - Lady's Island, SC
I really appreciate all the advise. I come into work uber early so I was already planning on being a flashing neon sign with all the reflectors, lights and reflective tape and clothing. With the access I have to a locker room I'm going to bring in 4 days of clothing on Mondays via my truck then bike the other days taking home my dirty clothes every day in either a backpack or one of those bags on the back of the bike. I'm also thinking about using a "Camel Back" since I live in the deep south and it gets profoundly hot and humid. Never really gets cold here though.  I love the idea of a Hybrid simply because I'd like to have available to me the ability go offroad a little.

-Gordie Howe

Most Active